The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

a11 Offense - 11 potentially eligible receivers

Has anyone else heard of this offense?

http://a11offense.blogspot.com/2007/...1-offense.html

They take advantage of the numbering exception. They put 11 players on the field with eligible numbers, put a snapper over the ball and then shift 6 of the remaining 10 players on the LOS just before the snap. They leave 2 players 7 yards deep who can take the snap. It's confusing for the defense because they have no idea who will be eligible until just before the snap.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it has been discussed before. A video can be seen here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...03501262187897
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I searched a11 but didnt find it.

The video I saw didn't show the pre-snap shifting so it was difficult to assess.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

A-11 Offense ??
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

This offense wouldn't work in Canadian ball because our mechanics dictate that we verbalize to B who the ineligible receivers are that do not conform to the numbering rule, and who the eligible receivers are that do not conform to the numbering rule. How do we know? Team A is required to tell us.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

I received a DVD yesterday of a game this team in action. There is not a whole lot of shifting or motion and it is generally done legally. There did appear to be a lot of fouls by the offense for something procedural. I did not see what they were although the announcer typically said "illegal procedure". (R was not miked and the DVD did not include his signals) Perhaps the refs were flagging the formation as it did appear at times they may have had some mugwomps.

Bottom line, will not work in NCAA because of the numbering issue. And if your Federation chiefs have any sense they will act in the offseason to incorporate a similar numbering rule to the NCAA to shut down this BS. Anyone who studies the history of American football knows how this violates the spirit of the rules. I am also surprised at how apparently defensive coaches where this team plays have not managed to figure out how easy it is to defend. In this video they have kids playing "pass defense" on clearly ineligible (by position) receivers.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

All they are doing is taking advantage of a loop hole in the numbering system. There are still the same number of eligible receivers on any given play. They are only making the officials' jobs more difficult and may occasionally succeed in having an ineligible downfield. We deal with this when working youth football all the time because the do away with the NFS numbering requirement in my area. Granted they don't pass as often. I don't see this as some great "revolution". Any team that can defense the spread can defense this.

Tom
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Tom, what's confusing is that you have the snapper over the ball with 10 eligible numbers behind the LOS. 6 step up to the LOS and set for 1 second. The defense has no idea who will be eligible /ineligible until 1 second before the snap. It's quite effective.

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Guards eligible

I had a 9-man playoff game this year in which the guards (players next to the snapper) were eligible because they were off the line. It took me a little by surprise when they went out for a pass. Nine-man has no numbering requirements so you are looking at position in terms of eligibility. They had 5 other players on the line so there was no foul.

I can imagine how confusing it might be if the A-11 was used.