The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Delaware TD Reversed (https://forum.officiating.com/football/40382-delaware-td-reversed.html)

jimpiano Fri Dec 14, 2007 08:39pm

Delaware TD Reversed

Official review in all its stupidity on display at Delaware/Appalachian State tonight. The Delaware runner scores in front of all naked eyes but his score is reversed when multiple replays indicate he was maybe an inch short when a part of his elbow may have touched the ground.

We have gone from replay instated to correct obvious errors of judgement to the laughable microscopic view of a player who was not even tackled to see if he scored an obvious touchdown.

This is no longer football,,,it is a travesty.

jimpiano Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegr8zamboni99
I have to disagree with you. The players elbow was clearly down before the ball crossed the goal line. I do think there are too many reviews but...if they are going to review it at least they should get it right. I do think the college game should go to a review format similar to what the pro game does, with challenges ect.

Well since that replay travesty, the crew on the field has proved to be less than championship caliber.

Steven Tyler Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:25pm

That's Delaware? I thought I was watching ESPN Classic and Appalachian State was beating up on Michigan. Those ugly helmets should be outlawed.

jimpiano Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
That's Delaware? I thought I was watching ESPN Classic and Appalachian State was beating up on Michigan. Those ugly helmets should be outlawed.

You should find two teams as successful as the ones who wear the winged helmets.

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
Official review in all its stupidity on display at Delaware/Appalachian State tonight. The Delaware runner scores in front of all naked eyes but his score is reversed when multiple replays indicate he was maybe an inch short when a part of his elbow may have touched the ground.

We have gone from replay instated to correct obvious errors of judgement to the laughable microscopic view of a player who was not even tackled to see if he scored an obvious touchdown.

This is no longer football,,,it is a travesty.

I disagree 100%.

What do you wish to do, award a touchdown to a player tackled in the field of play?

Steven Tyler Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25pm

Quote:

You should find two teams as successful as the ones who wear the winged helmets.

I'm familiar with Princeton as they wear that style of helmet, but I don't what other team you are referring?

You Wolverines fans are going to have deal with the shame of that loss for years to come. You're having a hard enough time finding a coach that can win that "one game". Maybe they swing it so they dump Ohio State off their schedule and Purdue or Northwestern is the big rival game at the end of the year.

jimpiano Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26pm

[QUOTE=JugglingReferee]I disagree 100%.

What do you wish to do, award a touchdown to a player tackled in the field of play?[/QUOTE

If instant replay was enacted to overturn a play in which absolutely no one involved in the play or any spectator watching the play would argue with,,,a play in which the ball carrier was not tackled, and by the fact of 5 minutes of slow motion replay determines he was a fraction of an inch short of the goal line....then burn all the stripe shirts and set up cameras and play the freaking game in front of empty seats...

That call was a freaking embarassment to anyone who truly loves football.

jimpiano Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I'm familiar with Princeton as they wear that style of helmet, but I don't what other team you are referring?

You Wolverines fans are going to have deal with the shame of that loss for years to come. You're having a hard enough time finding a coach that can win that "one game". Maybe they swing it so they dump Ohio State off their schedule and Purdue or Northwestern is the big rival game at the end of the year.

You are free to tout any team you want.
But the fact remains Michigan is the all time leading college football team in wins and winning percentage. And, as an Ohio State fan, I am painfully aware of the disparity of wins against Michigan.
Fritz Crisler invented the winged helmet at Princeton and took it to Michigan.
Delaware uses it as do a handful of other small college teams.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 15, 2007 07:24am

Quote:

I have found two teams as successful as the two teams that wear the winged helmets:

Youngstown State University Penguins: four (4) Div. I-AA National Championships in six (6) trips to the National Championship game under Jim Tressel.

The Ohio State University Buckeyes: one (1) Div. I-A National Championships in two (2) trips to the National Championship games and a chance for another National Championship next month under Jim Tressel.

MTD, Sr. (YSU, Class of 1980)

HLin NC Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:25am

It was a MEAC crew. McDonough and Spielman ripped them to shreds last night for so many conferences.

I was torn- it did appear that waved off several flags and did have a lot of get-togethers but if the whole idea is "to get it right" then isn't that what they were doing?

All-in-all, they did appear a bit "disjointed".

Theisey Sat Dec 15, 2007 04:42pm

So I take it you did NOT like the TD reversal in the Mt Union/Wisconsin-WW game?

Replay clearly got the call correct. The view from the calling official just wasn't there. Don't know what he was looking at.
I'm all for replay in getting it right and so far in all the games I've seen, it's been correct.

jimpiano Sun Dec 16, 2007 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theisey
So I take it you did NOT like the TD reversal in the Mt Union/Wisconsin-WW game?

Replay clearly got the call correct. The view from the calling official just wasn't there. Don't know what he was looking at.
I'm all for replay in getting it right and so far in all the games I've seen, it's been correct.

Didn't see the game. But I gather from your post the official made a mistake on the original call.

In the App State/Delaware game the original call was obvious to the naked eye and there was no dispute. Only when replay slowed it down over the next five minutes did it come up with a video only result showing the player down and inch from the goal line despite not even being down by contact.

This is NOT a play instant replay was set up to reverse. This is a total travesty of the game.

Rich Sun Dec 16, 2007 09:16am

Quote:

Didn't see the game. But I gather from your post the official made a mistake on the original call.

In the App State/Delaware game the original call was obvious to the naked eye and there was no dispute. Only when replay slowed it down over the next five minutes did it come up with a video only result showing the player down and inch from the goal line despite not even being down by contact.

This is NOT a play instant replay was set up to reverse. This is a total travesty of the game.

What does being down "by contact" have to do with anything? This was not an NFL game.

jimpiano Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
What does being down "by contact" have to do with anything? This was not an NFL game.

It was an emphasis on how stupid reviewing the call was.
This is not a play instant replay was set up to reverse. The fraction of an inch by which the player missed the end zone could not have been possibly seen by any naked eye. If we are going to review every non- controversial call by officials in the college game then we have turned the game into a TV show with no need for fans or officials.