The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ravens/Patriots last night

Can't believe nobody's discussing this.

Not just this, but the whole thing, everything that happened at the end.

Quote:

"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game."
How about in a game of this magnitude, you don't throw an official's flag into the freaking stands?

Typical player. Always looking for an alibi or a scapegoat. It's always the officials. You guys let the Patriots drive for the winning score. Your defensive coordinator called time out when you stopped them on 4th and 1.

You lost. You decided the outcome of the game.

That said, I don't know what to do about an official calling a player "boy," whether or not said official and said player share the same race and the official played in the league or not.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I don't watch much NFL but caught some of the game last night. Is Rolle #26? If so, not surprised, I was thinking he was close on late hit and taunting if that exist at that level.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

The best part of the article is that the player tried to make some accusation of the official not understanding the situation because he had never played football.

"Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.' "

Then later the article goes on to say "Head linesman Phil McKinnely, a former player for three NFL teams during the 1970s and '80s. McKinnely, who played collegiately at UCLA, is black, as is Rolle."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

McKinnely also played in the USFL.

Another typical player-move: not knowing anything about people, and figuring that anyone who's an official only officiates because they couldn't play.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

The best part of this was watching the Patriots kick off from the the Ravens' 35 yard line after those 2 unsportsmanlike penalties at the end.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack

Not just this, but the whole thing, everything that happened at the end.

How about in a game of this magnitude, you don't throw an official's flag into the freaking stands?

Typical player. Always looking for an alibi or a scapegoat. It's always the officials. You guys let the Patriots drive for the winning score. Your defensive coordinator called time out when you stopped them on 4th and 1.

You lost. You decided the outcome of the game.

That said, I don't know what to do about an official calling a player "boy," whether or not said official and said player share the same race and the official played in the league or not.
Hi guys I am from the Baseball side however, I think all officials share one thing in common - BLAME US for your loss.

What about the following:

1. Ed Reeves interception in the first half and he "hot dogs" like Dion Sanders and fumbles costing the Ravens a possible 3 points

2. After the Ravens stopped Brady and Company, they got a great punt return and had the ball 1st and 10 at the Pats 30. They did nothing and Boller threw a pick.

3. The Ravens offense was horendous in the 4th Qtr. They couldn't even get a first down. They had numerous chances to put the game away.

4. It wasn't the officials fault that the Defensive Coordinator called Time Out when the Ravens stopped the Pats on 4th and one.

5. After the Pats scored the go ahead TD, there were still 48 seconds left and the Ravens had one Time out left. If they had not committed 35 yards in penalties there was a good chance for a decent run-back (especially with the wind the way it was) and have a chance at getting in field goal range to tie the score.

The Ravens lost because of the Ravens.

With that aside be honest. Over on the baseball Forum we often criticize MLB umpires when they make a mistake, so I will ask the football officials this

Was that a good call to end the game? After all the pass was to a tight end and there is almost always some sort of bumping going on. Personally I thought it was a bad call but as mentioned above the Ravens lost that game themselves.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Was that a good call to end the game? After all the pass was to a tight end and there is almost always some sort of bumping going on. Personally I thought it was a bad call but as mentioned above the Ravens lost that game themselves.
The defender grabbed onto him for about 2 seconds while the receiver was trying to run past him. Obviously a foul, either DPI or holding depending on where the ball was.

And I don't know what games you are watching where the defense is allowed to do "some sort of bumping" against receivers 10-15 yards downfield. And I don't see how him being a tight end has any significance whatsoever.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get a good look at the replay on the defensive holding call. I'd like to see a slow-motion replay. That's the receiver the BJ keys on in 7-man so I know he was looking there and knows what to look for. I'll assume it was a good call.

The comments do concern me if they are true. He may have been trying to talk to the player on his level to make communicate more effectively but that was probably inappropriate.

I thought the players were going to strangle the coaches after the timeout on 4th and 1. I'm curious to see that replay again because I wonder if the Patriots OL let up a little when the heard the whistle and thus allowed the Ravens to stop them. That was my reaction seeing it in real time so to say the Ravens "stopped" them isn't necessarily accurate.

I heard the Ravens announcer complaining about not overturning the last Patriots touchdown. I thought that one was a no-brainer to let stand. He was adamant the ball was incomplete. It's definitely different watching the game with home team bias.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Defensive holding or illegal contact has been called all year rather consistently. I saw a call in favor of the Bears last week where the contact was less than in the Monday Night game. I saw a call this Sunday against the Vikings in favor of Roy Williams. Those are just two examples I saw that were even less contact and I did not see much complaining by the media about those calls.

Secondly, the catch at the end of the game was good. The receiver never missed a beat when the ball hit his hands. It was not even close. A catch is not required to be completely tucked in your chest.

This game is just another example on how people who have never strapped on the whistle do not have a clue as to what happens in a game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Defensive holding or illegal contact has been called all year rather consistently. I saw a call in favor of the Bears last week where the contact was less than in the Monday Night game. I saw a call this Sunday against the Vikings in favor of Roy Williams. Those are just two examples I saw that were even less contact and I did not see much complaining by the media about those calls.

Secondly, the catch at the end of the game was good. The receiver never missed a beat when the ball hit his hands. It was not even close. A catch is not required to be completely tucked in your chest.

This game is just another example on how people who have never strapped on the whistle do not have a clue as to what happens in a game.

Peace
Personally, I don't get the *****ing on the defensive holding call -- it was quite freaking obvious. WAY more than 5 yards downfield, the defender held the receiver for at least 2 steps and then let him go. I'd be wondering why the official DIDN'T throw the flag. Hell, it's illegal contact or holding - doesn't matter as both carry an AFD in the NFL.

Throwing the flag should've been an ejection.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Personally, I don't get the *****ing on the defensive holding call -- it was quite freaking obvious. WAY more than 5 yards downfield, the defender held the receiver for at least 2 steps and then let him go. I'd be wondering why the official DIDN'T throw the flag. Hell, it's illegal contact or holding - doesn't matter as both carry an AFD in the NFL.

Also the flag was out before the ball got to the receiver. So it was clear the official knew what he saw and already had made a decision.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I agree. Does the NFL not require an ejection for receiving 2 USC penalties?

(FWIW - when I heard about the incident, my first reaction was shock that it happened in a game where I wasn't officiating. )
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
..... I'm curious to see that replay again because I wonder if the Patriots OL let up a little when the heard the whistle and thus allowed the Ravens to stop them. That was my reaction seeing it in real time so to say the Ravens "stopped" them isn't necessarily accurate.
Wing official was clearly blowing his whistle, killing the clock, and coming in toward the R just before the snap on this one. Very probable that at least some of the O line knew that the play had been killed.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack

Typical player. Always looking for an alibi or a scapegoat. It's always the officials.
***In the near future when a similar call is made in a similar situation and it works in the favor of the Ravens then Rolle will be bobbing his head up and down and saying Good call Mr. Ref. They don't want us to get it right they want us to get it for them.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
The defender grabbed onto him for about 2 seconds while the receiver was trying to run past him. Obviously a foul, either DPI or holding depending on where the ball was.

And I don't know what games you are watching where the defense is allowed to do "some sort of bumping" against receivers 10-15 yards downfield. And I don't see how him being a tight end has any significance whatsoever.
Exactly. Even if it's not flagged as holding, it's definitely illegal contact. You can't contact a receiver beyond the 5 yard chuck zone in the NFL.

Yes, it was an excellent call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith