The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Game clock (https://forum.officiating.com/football/40009-game-clock.html)

jwwashburn Sat Dec 01, 2007 08:10pm

Game clock

I have always wondered...

In NCAA Basketball, the whistle stops the clock almost instantly.

In NCAA Football, the clock seems to ALWAYS run at least a second or two(sometimes more) after the whistle.

Why don't they do something to fix this?

Joe in Michigan

qcumpire Sat Dec 01, 2007 09:28pm

I've got a couple of reasons.

First, every time the whistle blows in basketball, the clock stops. In football, the clock only stops in certain situations.

Secondly, many of the college arenas have the timing systems that automatically stop the clock on the sound of the whistle.

jwwashburn Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:04pm

I had no idea that the clock and whistle were linked in basketball. That explains a lot.

I knew, of course, that only some whistles stop the clock in football. I guess that would make a link between the whistle and the clock in football nearly impossible. Still, it seems like they could do something better. I have seen instances in major college football games where 10 or 15 seconds click off without remedy.

Joe in Michigan

TXMike Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I had no idea that the clock and whistle were linked in basketball. That explains a lot.

I knew, of course, that only some whistles stop the clock in football. I guess that would make a link between the whistle and the clock in football nearly impossible. Still, it seems like they could do something better. I have seen instances in major college football games where 10 or 15 seconds click off without remedy.

Joe in Michigan

10-15 secs gone without remedy in a major college game?!?!?! I don't think so. Can you name the game(s)? I see them go to pains to correct the clock when there is onl 2-3 secs difference. In major college games there is always at least one official keeping his own watch on the field as well as several guys glancing at the clock after every play.

jwwashburn Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:16pm

It was a big game toward the end of last season. I do not remember the teams but there was less than 2:30 left and the announcers made note of it. I do not recall the refs ever making a deal out of 2 or 3 seconds. I saw 2 seconds go off after the whistle in the Oregon vs Oregon Stste game tonight.

Joe in michigan

TXMike Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:19pm

There was a game last year where the clock was not stopped by the refs and it should have been. Maybe that is the one you mean? I thiknk it was BC against someone. If the refs don't signal for clock to stop then it will nto be stopped. That is a different situation than when they signal for it to stop and it does not.

jwwashburn Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23pm

No, this was a clear case off the incomplete pass out of bounds and the whistle and signal and the clock ran more than ten seconds. I wish I remembered which game it was...I can barely remember my dog's name.

Joe in Michigan

jaybird Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28am

I knew, of course, that only some whistles stop the clock in football.

When?
Whistles don't stop the clock, signals and/or the play stops the clock.

HLin NC Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:30am

Here's one problem.........

Quote:

the announcers made note of it
Easily the most UN-informed individuals connected with a college game. Never depend on ANYTHING they say in regards to the rules of football.:cool:

bossman72 Sun Dec 02, 2007 03:35pm

Another reason there may be a delay is that in basketball, the time keeper is right there court side and can hear every whistle (and as noted before, it always stops on a whistle).

In the press box (not positive) but you probably cant hear the whistles too too well. Also, you have to look at seven different officials to see one of them giving the "stop the clock" signal, which is not always where the ball is (like on a penalty), which would cause a couple seconds to run off.

Warrenkicker Mon Dec 03, 2007 08:46am

The official game clock almost never runs after it is supposed to have stopped. The clock operator would not have a job for long if he constantly did this. Now if you are comparing the clock that a TV broadcast puts on the top of the screen compared to the game then you are talking about something completely different. This clock on the top of the screen is not connected to the game clock. It is just for reference and another TV person is in charge of turning it on and off at the same time as the stadium clock. Sometimes they forget and you can see it running for many seconds after it should have been stopped. In those situations it is just catching back up to the official game clock.

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 05, 2007 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The official game clock almost never runs after it is supposed to have stopped. The clock operator would not have a job for long if he constantly did this. Now if you are comparing the clock that a TV broadcast puts on the top of the screen compared to the game then you are talking about something completely different. This clock on the top of the screen is not connected to the game clock. It is just for reference and another TV person is in charge of turning it on and off at the same time as the stadium clock. Sometimes they forget and you can see it running for many seconds after it should have been stopped. In those situations it is just catching back up to the official game clock.

With current technology, the clock displayed on TV is often connected directly to the official game clock. You'll see that more and more in the future.

Warrenkicker Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:21pm

Perhaps it is on some networks or at least at certain levels, NFL only. However I have personally seen college games on ESPN this season where the clock continued running for almost 10 seconds after the ball went OOB and the announcers stated at the end of the play that there were now "this" many seconds left but the clock on the TV had yet to count down to that number.