The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   LSU vs Arkansas (https://forum.officiating.com/football/39806-lsu-vs-arkansas.html)

jwwashburn Fri Nov 23, 2007 09:01pm

LSU vs Arkansas

I am a Baseball umpire and a football fan.

I thought I knew the college rules fairly well. I was confused today.

Here is what I think happened:

Arkansas won the coin flip to begin OT. They chose to take the ball second.

Then, Arkansas got the ball first in the second and third OT.

The announcers did not say anything.

Did I see what I think I saw? What is the rule? What happened?

Joe in Michigan

TXMike Fri Nov 23, 2007 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I am a Baseball umpire and a football fan.

I thought I knew the college rules fairly well. I was confused today.

Here is what I think happened:

Arkansas won the coin flip to begin OT. They chose to take the ball second.

Then, Arkansas got the ball first in the second and third OT.

The announcers did not say anything.

Did I see what I think I saw? What is the rule? What happened?

Joe in Michigan

I saw the same thing and was also confused. I was flipping back and forth between that and the UT game so figured I missed the explanation. Apparently Arkansas chose to take the ball first in the 3d OT since it would have been their choice.

OverAndBack Fri Nov 23, 2007 09:21pm

Official play-by-play of the game says Arkansas did win the toss and elected to go on defense. They did go on defense first. LSU went on offense. Then Arkansas went on offense.

I think they re-choose after each overtime period. I think the team that loses the initial toss gets to choose and it's possible that they don't just alternate. But I'm not completely familiar with the NCAA overtime rule.

Welpe Sat Nov 24, 2007 02:41am

While we're discussing this game, Arkansas was issued a "Time Out Warning". Is that something unique to NCAA? I've never heard of it for Fed.

MadCityRef Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:52pm

Each OT has the same choices. 1st OT toss winner can select offense or defense first, or choice of end zone. For the 2nd OT, the loser of the toss gets to choose. 3rd OT: back to toss winner for first choice. Alternates from there.

Blue37 Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike
I saw the same thing and was also confused. I was flipping back and forth between that and the UT game so figured I missed the explanation. Apparently Arkansas chose to take the ball first in the 3d OT since it would have been their choice.

It appears you were more confused than you thought. The UT/Kentucky game was a Saturday game.:)

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37
It appears you were more confused than you thought. The UT/Kentucky game was a Saturday game.:)

You might be confused! UT/Texas A&M were playing at the same time as Arkansas/LSU. I know because I couldn't get the Arkansas/LSU game (bad reception for some reason) so focused on the UT/Texas A&M game while my buddy texted me updates on the Sooooey Pig game!

TXMike Mon Nov 26, 2007 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37

THE UT game was in College Station on Friday as it always is. Tennessee University played on Saturday. ;)