The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois fumble during the Ohio State game

I am surprised nobody has commented on this one. On Illinois first TD, the runner appeared to fumble at the 3 yard line. The ball went into the end zone where an Ohio State player recovered. Replays confirmed the fumble but it was not reviewed. The ball was spotted at the three. If the official did blow his whistle while the ball was loose, then it was an inadvertent whistle. The rules state that Illinois would get the ball at the spot of the fumble. However an inadvertent whistle is a big no no in officiating especially at this level. Also the head referee has to explain the options to the press box. This did not happen. That leaves two options. 1) There was no inadvertent whistle and the play could have been reviewed 2) The referee crew screwed up and tried to cover their asses. I guess this was the same crew who has had problems all year.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

If he is ruled down on the field then it is not a reviewable play. That is the whole issue that many of us have with a system that seems to encourage guys to let things go and then come back and straighten them out. SInce they did not let it go, they could not fix in this instance.

I should add I have not seen the play so have no comment on the judgment.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

My understanding there was no inadvertent whistle on this play. From what I was told, was the officials just ruled the player down. OSU for some reason does not have monitors in the press box area and no one could look at the play to tell him to review it. The replay official is only as good as the views he gets. I did not see the game live, but if they do not have the video replay given to them in time by the TV broadcast, then they cannot review the play unless they have some reason to stop play.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
My understanding there was no inadvertent whistle on this play. From what I was told, was the officials just ruled the player down. OSU for some reason does not have monitors in the press box area and no one could look at the play to tell him to review it. The replay official is only as good as the views he gets. I did not see the game live, but if they do not have the video replay given to them in time by the TV broadcast, then they cannot review the play unless they have some reason to stop play.

Peace
A real good reason for not having the monitors would be that it is against the rules.

As for the review...as I said..not reviewable..Rule 12-3-a:

ARTICLE 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is
ruled down, the play is not reviewable.)
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the officials just missed the call. Too bad for OSU it would have been a big momentum changer.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Illinois fumble was missed....an inexplicable lapse of concentration by the officials. Fortunately for the Big Ten Illinois dominated the game and won.

What an embarassment for the league had that play made a difference since it was called by a crew about to bs suspended and/or fired.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backjudge79
I am surprised nobody has commented on this one. On Illinois first TD, the runner appeared to fumble at the 3 yard line. The ball went into the end zone where an Ohio State player recovered. Replays confirmed the fumble but it was not reviewed. The ball was spotted at the three. If the official did blow his whistle while the ball was loose, then it was an inadvertent whistle. The rules state that Illinois would get the ball at the spot of the fumble. However an inadvertent whistle is a big no no in officiating especially at this level. Also the head referee has to explain the options to the press box. This did not happen. That leaves two options. 1) There was no inadvertent whistle and the play could have been reviewed 2) The referee crew screwed up and tried to cover their asses. I guess this was the same crew who has had problems all year.
This does not have to do with the replay, but with the IW aspect of the play...

Under Fed rules, am I correct in saying that the fumbling team could choose to replay the down (if the ball is still loose)? Under NCAA is the only 'option' to take the ball at the spot of the fumble? Just curious....
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Did not see this thread

I heard the whistle before the ball was recovered by the defender. I heard that the replay booth was having technical difficulties.