The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Got my first playoff game. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/39420-got-my-first-playoff-game.html)

w_sohl Wed Nov 07, 2007 03:51am

Got my first playoff game.

Very excited. Here in CA they place individuals in the playoffs not crews. Fortunately for me the guy I'm working with I've worked with in basketball. HL for me on Friday night, first round in CA.

MJT Wed Nov 07, 2007 08:24am

Congrats! They are really exciting!

JugglingReferee Wed Nov 07, 2007 08:50am

Congrats! Don't be afraid to take a second for yourself and take a deep breath, check out the stands' cheering, the weather, the momentum, etc.

Rich Wed Nov 07, 2007 08:59am

I take that moment every Friday night.

It's a strange feeling, but as a WH standing on the goal line at the middle of the field, I always have this "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else" feeling as I stand there -- and wait to call for the first kickoff of the game.

Reffing Rev. Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I take that moment every Friday night.

It's a strange feeling, but as a WH standing on the goal line at the middle of the field, I always have this "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else" feeling as I stand there -- and wait to call for the first kickoff of the game.

Amen!

Welpe Wed Nov 07, 2007 08:40pm

Congrats, I hope you have a great time! What section are you in?

tjones1 Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05pm

Congrats! Good luck Friday, be sure to report back how things went.

JRutledge Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:12pm

That first was is really fun. Enjoy every minute you can.

Peace

Rich Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:19pm

I did a playoff game my first year after moving to Wisconsin. The following year I started a crew and it took me 4 years to get on the playoff list. We got our first game this season, our first season of eligibility. Great way to end the season.

HLin NC Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:37pm

Congrats!

As an old WH told me- make sure you get rid of that nervous pee.:D

ljudge Thu Nov 08, 2007 08:17am

Passing on some advice....

I received an e-mail from an executive board member who saw my upcoming assignment for tomorrow night. It's a playoff and expected to be a very intriguing game. A #4 vs. a #5 in a 8-team bracket with two of our larger football programs.

His advice...

"HAVE FUN FIRST" "Officiating comes second"

waltjp Thu Nov 08, 2007 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljudge
I received an e-mail from an executive board member who saw my upcoming assignment for tomorrow night. It's a playoff and expected to be a very intriguing game. A #4 vs. a #5 in a 8-team bracket with two of our larger football programs.

His advice...

"HAVE FUN FIRST" "Officiating comes second"

Great, Joe. I've got a 1 vs 8 match-up with some of our "smaller" programs on Friday night and a consolation game on Saturday afternoon.

grantsrc Thu Nov 08, 2007 08:48am

Congrats! Enjoy it, but don't get caught up in the moment. Work your game as you would normally work it. Just because it's a playoff game doesn't mean that you need to change how you work.

I have a quarterfinal game that puts the number one and two ranked teams in the state's largest class against each other. Should be an electrifying atmosphere.

Good luck to all!

Jim D Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantsrc
I have a quarterfinal game that puts the number one and two ranked teams in the state's largest class against each other. Should be an electrifying atmosphere.

Good luck to all!

Is that Blue Springs - Rockhurst?

grantsrc Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D
Is that Blue Springs - Rockhurst?

Yes.