The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

WarrenKicker,

My apologies, in my haste to answer the question, I obviously made an *ss of myself. The point I was trying to make (which I still think I'm right) was that the period does need to be extended for the kickoff - IF THE OFFENDED TEAM DOESN'T WANT TO ENFORCE THE PENALTY ON THE TRY. Their options are to decline the penalty (so as not to allow the other team a possibility to score), or have an untimed KO as part of the second quarter. And the fact that the Try is an untimed down doesn't seem to matter, to me because this does not conotate an "extension" of the period. This play (the Try) would occur regardless of the foul on the previous scrimmage play or not.

(Still embarrassed for making myself look like an idiot)
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I understand your point and gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't actually trying to say what you wrote.

I even would have agreed with your point before reading 3-3-4a. And because they put in 3-3-4a I would have to say that they felt there wasn't a need to include touchdowns with trys and field goals because of the untimed down of the try. And again I understand the fact that the try was happening with or without the penalty but I still think they intend to not force that kick-off. A case play about both the TD play and a kicking play would be nice.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Some states do this. If a person is ejected from their last football game, they must sit out the first contest of the winter sport season whether it's basketball, wrestling, or whatever they participate in.

Some states just "overlook" the ejection if it was in the last game of the season. I disagree with that, as it's unfair to those who had to serve a suspension during the season.
Darn, I hate it when there are serious answers to my flip joke. I was looking for, "Yeah, a free throw starting the 1st basketball game to enforce a personal foul at the end of the last football game. But if it's an illegal hold, that has to carry over to the 1st wrestling match."

Robert
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 05:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Darn, I hate it when there are serious answers to my flip joke. I was looking for, "Yeah, a free throw starting the 1st basketball game to enforce a personal foul at the end of the last football game. But if it's an illegal hold, that has to carry over to the 1st wrestling match."

Robert
I think you're funny, Robert.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question #22 from our 2007 State (LA) rules examination:

On a down in which time has expired for the second quarter, Team A scores a touchdown. B2 held during the play. Team A has the option of taking this penalty on the Try or second half kickoff.

The correct answer was False.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
Question #22 from our 2007 State (LA) rules examination:

On a down in which time has expired for the second quarter, Team A scores a touchdown. B2 held during the play. Team A has the option of taking this penalty on the Try or second half kickoff.

The correct answer was False.
Because the 2nd half kickoff is not the 'ensuing' kickoff. The 2nd half kickoff ensues from the fact it is the 2nd half, not the score.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

It is false because this was a live ball foul on the last timed play of the first half and if accepted on the kickoff. the periiod will be extend with an untimed down.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 09:05am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman

Robert
Heh, I'll play nice now. How about...coach, your USC as we were walking off the field will be enforced as a T at the beginning of your first basketball game which I am scheduled to work? LOL.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I scewed this up this Friday night. Long TD run, B committs a personal foul after (and I KNOW it was after...in relation to my last post for the white hats). I came up to call the foul and the official with the flag tells me the foul and that it is enforcable on the PAT or the kick off. We have a little discussion b/c I thought only live ball fouls carried that option. I had all four other officials on my crew swearing up and down that I was wrong (in that it had to be assesed as a succeding spot foul). Aftre digging in the rule book, I was unable to find a solid rule to back his up, but the things I have found seem to indcate that dead ball PF and USC are basically treated the same.

I should have had a little bit more confidence in my own recollection.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Major fouls are Objectionable Conduct, Unnecessary Roughness, Rough Play, No Mouthguard.
Sorry to get slightly off topic, but what is the difference between UR and Rough Play in Canada?
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 05:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Sorry to get slightly off topic, but what is the difference between UR and Rough Play in Canada?
The rule book deals with it in an interesting way. It first deals with Rough Play:

Deliberate acts such as punching, kicking, fighting, etc... are of course RP. 25y + DQ. Facemask is RP. But there also has to be an intent to injure - to cause calculated injury.

UR is RP cases where too serious for ejection - this usually means that the intent to injure element is missing. Most facemasks will be UR. Piling On is UR. Crack back is a UR foul, as is spearing, horse collar, etc. Late hits on QBs, holders, kickers, etc... are all URs, if there is no intent in injure.

I average less than 1 DQ per season, as do most officials. UR is just 15 with no DQ. Points of Application are the same, and effects on dual foul situations are the same.

RP does have 1 restriction that UR doesn't have. If the POA is outside the offending team's 30, do not go closer than that team's 15. So you could in essense have a 16 yard RP foul: 31 - 16 goes to the 15.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
I scewed this up this Friday night. Long TD run, B committs a personal foul after (and I KNOW it was after...in relation to my last post for the white hats). I came up to call the foul and the official with the flag tells me the foul and that it is enforcable on the PAT or the kick off. We have a little discussion b/c I thought only live ball fouls carried that option. I had all four other officials on my crew swearing up and down that I was wrong (in that it had to be assesed as a succeding spot foul). Aftre digging in the rule book, I was unable to find a solid rule to back his up, but the things I have found seem to indcate that dead ball PF and USC are basically treated the same.

I should have had a little bit more confidence in my own recollection.
Rule 8-2-2: "If during a touchdown-scoring play..."

Nothing to do with personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct being the same. The personal foul happened after the play, not during it. Must be enforced on the try.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

Minor fouls that occur during a TD play do not carry over anywhere. Major fouls do carry over - to whereever you want! Major fouls are Objectionable Conduct, Unnecessary Roughness, Rough Play, No Mouthguard.

Situations:
0. Yes, a major foul during a try can induce a KO in the 2nd, or carry over to the 3rd quarter. In fact, I had one of these tonight.
  1. If there's a major foul, induce a KO in 1Q or carry to 2Q.
  2. If there's a major foul, induce a KO in 2Q or carry to 3Q.
  3. If there's a major foul, induce a KO in 1Q or carry to 2Q.
  4. If there's a major foul, induce a KO in 2Q or carry to 3Q.
Note that unlike UR/RP, Objectionable Conduct will only carry over to the next quarter and cannot induce a KO in the same quarter.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 View Post
Note that unlike UR/RP, Objectionable Conduct will only carry over to the next quarter and cannot induce a KO in the same quarter.
Tx. Editted my OP.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tx. Editted my OP.
Might want to "editt" this post, too.