The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Fg attempt botched what happens next??? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/39271-fg-attempt-botched-what-happens-next.html)

BoBo Wed Oct 31, 2007 01:55pm

Fg attempt botched what happens next???

For some of the new guys just get your mind going.

Team A has 3rd and 7 at B's 20 yard line. Line of scrimmage)

Team A/K is in a scrimmage kick formation/field goal formation.

They decide to attempt the game winning field goal.

Holder A10 drops the snap and run out of bounds at B's 15 yardline.

1) whose ball and what down?

The kick by A-K3 is blocked and recovered by A55 at B's 15 yardline.

2) whose ball and what down?

The kick by A-K3 is blocked and recovered by A55 at B's 24 yardline.

3) whose ball and what down?

Patton Wed Oct 31, 2007 02:04pm

1) K's ball 4&2 @ 15- Clock will start on snap
2) R's ball 1&10 @15 - Clock will start on snap
3) K's ball 4&12 @ 24 - Clock will start on ready

BoBo Wed Oct 31, 2007 02:09pm

Fed rulings is what i am asking for, not sure what difference there is with ncaa.

JugglingReferee Wed Oct 31, 2007 02:39pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoBo
For some of the new guys just get your mind going.

Team A has 3rd and 7 at B's 20 yard line. Line of scrimmage)

Team A/K is in a scrimmage kick formation/field goal formation.

They decide to attempt the game winning field goal.

Holder A10 drops the snap and run out of bounds at B's 15 yardline.

1) whose ball and what down?

The kick by A-K3 is blocked and recovered by A55 at B's 15 yardline.

2) whose ball and what down?

The kick by A-K3 is blocked and recovered by A55 at B's 24 yardline.

3) whose ball and what down?

Please clarify the meaning of "game winning field goal". If your intent was to tell us that at the snap, the offense is losing by 2 or 1 points, or that the game is tied, and if successful, the defense scores no more, then I fail to see why the score matters. If your intent was to tell us that after this play, there is no time left on the clock, then I think you need to clarify that.

Since Canada uses 3 downs, I will change the sitch to be 2D/7 @ B-20 in our game.

CANADIAN RULING:
  1. Gain of 8 on the play. If there is time left, 3D/2 @ B-15. Clock on the snap.
  2. Gain of 8 on the play. If there is time left, 3D/2 @ B-15. Clock on the RFP.
  3. Loss of 4 on the play. If there is time left, 3D/11 @ B-24. Clock on the RFP.

Fan10 Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton
3) K's ball 4&12 @ 24 - Clock will start on ready

Why would the clock ever stop in this play? The ball didn't cross the neutral zone, and the kicking team was tackled in bounds short of the line to gain. And, there is no change of possession.

Zebra in NC Thu Nov 01, 2007 03:53pm

Under NFHS rules:

#1 - A's ball, 4th and 2 from B's 15. Clock starts on the snap.

#2 - A's ball, 4th and 2 from B's 15. Clock doesn't stop.

#3 - A's ball, 4th and 11 from B's 24. Clock doesn't stop.

Warrenkicker Fri Nov 02, 2007 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra in NC
Under NFHS rules:

#2 - A's ball, 4th and 2 from B's 15. Clock doesn't stop.

Are you sure you want to let A, or K, down a scrimmage kick beyond the original line-of-scrimmage and let them keep the ball? This would be like letting K recover a punt for a first down 20 yards down field when R never touched the ball.

Zebra in NC Fri Nov 02, 2007 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
Are you sure you want to let A, or K, down a scrimmage kick beyond the original line-of-scrimmage and let them keep the ball? This would be like letting K recover a punt for a first down 20 yards down field when R never touched the ball.

I suppose there ought to be a little clarification. If the kick is blocked and K/A recovers behind the LOS, and returns it to the 15, then it's 4th and 2.

But, if the kick is recovered beyond the LOS by K/A, would it be 1st and 10 for B/R (because A/K lost their right to the ball once they kicked it)?

Reffing Rev. Sat Nov 03, 2007 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra in NC

But, if the kick is recovered beyond the LOS by K/A, would it be 1st and 10 for B/R (because A/K lost their right to the ball once they kicked it)?

YUP, you kick it beyond the LOS you give it up unless touched there by R and then you manage to recover it. Does not matter whether it is 1st or 4th down. We are of course assuming the block (touching by R) was behind the expanded neutral zone.

Husker John Mon Nov 05, 2007 05:19am

Follow Up Question to those proposed

I am only a coach so I may be off base here, but don't the answers to the block kicked portions of these questions depend on where the kick was blocked at? For example, if the kick was blocked beyond the LOS then B retains the ball under these scenarios.

Robert Goodman Mon Nov 05, 2007 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husker John
I am only a coach so I may be off base here, but don't the answers to the block kicked portions of these questions depend on where the kick was blocked at? For example, if the kick was blocked beyond the LOS then B retains the ball under these scenarios.

True. "Blocked kick" is a defined term in Canadian football, but not USAn, but AFAIK it's not used in USAn rules anyway. (Like the way "charged down" was not defined for a very long time in Rugby Union.) I think, however, we understood the situation described to be one where the kicked ball is rising or level and where team R can react to it only rapidly and not have a chance to catch it, so that will almost always happen in or on team K's side of the neutral zone, expanded.

Robert