The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cal vs. Arizona St. - INADVERTENT SIGNAL??

On a punt late in the 2nd Quarter, a Cal player fielded a punt and was immediately tackled. On the tackle he fumbled the ball. At the moment of the tackle the BJ gave the signal to kill the clock (w/o an audible whistle). There was a scramble for the ball and the BJ continued to officiate (following the scramble), but gave the signal at least one other time (again w/o an audible whistle). The R anounced that the ruling on the field was that the punt was caught and fumbled and recovered by the kicking team. The play was then reviewed and after the review the R said that there was an "Inadvertent Signal" on the play, and by rule the receiving team retained possession at the spot where the receiver caught the punt.

My question - is there such a thing as an Inadvertent Signal under NCAA rules - and if there is, is it treated much like an Inadvertent Whistle?
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NorthernAZRef Send a message via MSN to NorthernAZRef
I noticed the same thing... seemed like the BJ tried to cover himself when he reported it to the R, then he had to eat it. I've never heard of inadvertent signal though. I can't imagine how he felt going into the lockerroom at half.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

If a signal is given for something that would mean ball is dead (i.e. TD signal, incomplete pass, stop the clock, etc) it is treated exsactly like an IW
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 01:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
On a punt late in the 2nd Quarter, a Cal player fielded a punt and was immediately tackled. On the tackle he fumbled the ball. At the moment of the tackle the BJ gave the signal to kill the clock (w/o an audible whistle). There was a scramble for the ball and the BJ continued to officiate (following the scramble), but gave the signal at least one other time (again w/o an audible whistle). The R anounced that the ruling on the field was that the punt was caught and fumbled and recovered by the kicking team. The play was then reviewed and after the review the R said that there was an "Inadvertent Signal" on the play, and by rule the receiving team retained possession at the spot where the receiver caught the punt.

My question - is there such a thing as an Inadvertent Signal under NCAA rules - and if there is, is it treated much like an Inadvertent Whistle?
CANADIAN RULING:

There is nothing in the rulebook surrounding an inadvertant signal.

My ruling: Having said that, if I knew such a thing happened, the fair thing, in my mind, is that this act kills the play. An R player could claim that he didn't try for the ball because he saw the official kill the play with a visible signal. The play is dead with R catching the ball: R 1D/10.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-1-2a
A live ball becomes a dead ball as provided in the rules or when an official sounds his whistle (even though inadvertently), or otherwise signals the ball dead.