The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ig

What mechanics does your crew use for IG?
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Different crews do it different ways. Some are ok with wings throwing the flag, but most only have the R. Some will have the R throw it if unsure and then pick it up and some will make sure and then have a late flag.

I (the R) have to stay with the QB if he is threatened and have to stay with him through the hit on him all the way to the ground and after that until they are getting up, so I cannot see if a receiver is in the area if they are hitting the QB. For this reason we have the wings help on where the receivers are and they will come talk to me and I will have the flag and it may be late. I will stay at the yard line of the pass so I know where the flag will be if we have a late one. My wings no that they have to come to me for this reason, as the penalty is from the spot of the IFP. I don't think the R can throw the flag and pick it up for the reason of not being able to look away from the QB contact if there is some.
Now if there is no contact that will occur on the QB, I may be able to see it myself and have a flag that is not late.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Different crews do it different ways. Some are ok with wings throwing the flag, but most only have the R. Some will have the R throw it if unsure and then pick it up and some will make sure and then have a late flag.

I (the R) have to stay with the QB if he is threatened and have to stay with him through the hit on him all the way to the ground and after that until they are getting up, so I cannot see if a receiver is in the area if they are hitting the QB. For this reason we have the wings help on where the receivers are and they will come talk to me and I will have the flag and it may be late. I will stay at the yard line of the pass so I know where the flag will be if we have a late one. My wings no that they have to come to me for this reason, as the penalty is from the spot of the IFP. I don't think the R can throw the flag and pick it up for the reason of not being able to look away from the QB contact if there is some.
Now if there is no contact that will occur on the QB, I may be able to see it myself and have a flag that is not late.
Thanks, that is basically the way I have always done it, but new guys want me to throw the flag from the wing, which I think is a bad idea.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

I (the WH) throw the flag. If a wing has something, he comes to me. If it's obvious, the flag is thrown right away. If not, I'll hold the spot of the pass and throw the flag late depending on the input I get from the wing.

This year a wing came to me and said there was a receiver in the direction of the pass, but it was essentially a forward spike to the ground as the quarterback was being sacked.

I thanked the wing for his feedback and enforced the penalty anyway. It still *was* IG.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

as should any pass thrown in the bleachers. This is the one time when uncatchable pass is a football NF rule. If it is thrown intentionally so it can't be caught by anyone and is done to save yardage or time it is IG by definition! 7-5-2d!!!!