The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Face mask-pass or no pass... (https://forum.officiating.com/football/38562-face-mask-pass-no-pass.html)

buckrog64 Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:17pm

Face mask-pass or no pass...

Friday night, QB is back for a pass. He never threw the ball but it was an apparent pass play to be, if you will. As he is being tackled, his mask gets pulled. WH and U both flagged it and though he was tackled about five yards behind the LOS, they took it to the previous spot and assessed because they thought it was a loose ball play since it was supposed to be a pass play.

I figured it (the assessment) should have been at the end of the run and replay the down but was talked out of it. Opinions appreciated.

txrefcshou Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64
Friday night, QB is back for a pass. He never threw the ball but it was an apparent pass play to be, if you will. As he is being tackled, his mask gets pulled. WH and U both flagged it and though he was tackled about five yards behind the LOS, they took it to the previous spot and assessed because they thought it was a loose ball play since it was supposed to be a pass play.

I figured it (the assessment) should have been at the end of the run and replay the down but was talked out of it. Opinions appreciated.

They were right and wrong, it is basic spot enforcement. bs on running plays that end behind los is the ps. Logic was wrong, but result right.:D

Middleman Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:28pm

Quote:

The Umpire and/or Referee had no right to decide what the play was "supposed to be." It was a running play. They were wrong, you were right, for what it's worth.

txrefcshou Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middleman
The Umpire and/or Referee had no right to decide what the play was "supposed to be." It was a running play. They were wrong, you were right, for what it's worth.

It won't be worth much, because the enforcement would have been wrong.:)

TXMike Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:39pm

Maybe the Fed enforcement is different than yours TX?

JugglingReferee Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:40pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Friday night, QB is back for a pass. He never threw the ball but it was an apparent pass play to be, if you will. As he is being tackled, his mask gets pulled.

CANADIAN RULING:

Facemask is a UR foul. We have no 5-yard variety. 15y from PLS, AFD.

txrefcshou Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike
Maybe the Fed enforcement is different than yours TX?

Very true Mike, do you still live in tx?

verticalStripes Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:47pm

It all depends if you are playing under NCAA rules or Fed. The codes are different.

TXMike Mon Oct 01, 2007 07:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by txrefcshou
Very true Mike, do you still live in tx?

Part of me is there but a large part of me is in Viginia I am still a member of TASO

waltjp Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:20am

FED Ruling - All But One Principle

The basic spot for a running play is the end of the run. This is the 'All' portion of the All-But-One principle. The 'One' is a foul by the offense behind the basic spot.

In this case we have a foul by the defensive the occurred behind the basic spot. The spot of enforcement is the basic spot (end of the run). Mark off the yardage and replay the down.

Bob M. Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24am

REPLY: Absolutely a Fed-NCAA rules difference: Previous spot enforcement for NCAA; End-of-run enforcement for Federation.

buckrog64 Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34am

Same scenario: He (QB) gets his masked pulled while running from the defense, behind the LOS, then throws an incomplete pass. Then you have a loose ball play with spot of enforcement being the previous spot? Thanks for your replies. We are talking NF rules in Iowa.

MJT Mon Oct 01, 2007 01:57pm

Quote:

Same scenario: He (QB) gets his masked pulled while running from the defense, behind the LOS, then throws an incomplete pass. Then you have a loose ball play with spot of enforcement being the previous spot? Thanks for your replies. We are talking NF rules in Iowa.

Yes, then it would be a loose ball play and the BS is the PS.

What part of Iowa buckrog64? I'm from the NW corner of the great state of Iowa.

buckrog64 Mon Oct 01, 2007 04:08pm

Webster City area...

I'll have to recheck with those guys and find out specifically why they went back to the previous spot. We had a similar deal happen last year at a crucial time, and we got that right. So I'm not sure why the intepretation changed this time.