The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:15am
I Bleed Crimson

Wisconsin v WSU Game

Anybody see the illegal batting call?

The reason I ask, is that the kicking team (UW) batted the ball towards WSU's goal. A WSU player picked up the ball and ran, but the play was whistled dead.

I'm an NFHS guy, but isn't the kick still live until dead by rule (i.e. posessed by K beyond the NZ or out of bounds)? Or are NCAA rules different?

Was there a IW on that one?

If I was the WSU coach, I would have come unglued, especially since the player had a wide open lane to the EZ.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I have been doing some research on this call after hearing about it yesterday ( I did not see it)

According to the play-by-play Wisconsin had 4th and 3 at the WSU 44:

4-3 WSU 44 Debauche,Ken punt 1 yards to the WSU43, downed, PENALTY WIS illegal batting
(Debauche,Ken) 15 yards to the WIS42, 1st and 10, WSU ball on WIS42.
-----------------------

And from a news story:

Not only did DeBauche down his own punt, he purposely batted the ball forward and drew a 15-yard penalty. That set up a short touchdown drive by the Cougars that cut the UW lead to seven points early in the third quarter.
---------------------

Not sure that either explanation clears much up. What did the punter actually do? Did he fall on the ball and then smack it (dead ball foul)?

Based on your description it sounds like an IW and depending on when the IW was blown, the down might or might not have been replayed. It sounds like the penalty was enforced as a dead ball foul since Team A did not get to repeat the down (which they should have been allowed to do since the bat was during a kick that had crossed the line of scrimmage). Very strange indeed
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 06:40pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Not sure that either explanation clears much up. What did the punter actually do? Did he fall on the ball and then smack it (dead ball foul)?
The ball bounced after hitting the ground, and in disgust, the punter batted the ball towards the WSU goal. At no point was the ball downed. At that point a WSU player picked it up, but stopped when the whistle blew.

The news story you posted seems like a misunderstanding of the rules. If the ball is downed, how can you illegally bat it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Based on your description it sounds like an IW and depending on when the IW was blown, the down might or might not have been replayed. It sounds like the penalty was enforced as a dead ball foul since Team A did not get to repeat the down (which they should have been allowed to do since the bat was during a kick that had crossed the line of scrimmage). Very strange indeed
Seemed like an IW to me as well. Like I said, if I was the WSU coach, I would have and an earful for the official.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

When I finally got to see the video I was even more confused. The punter did not bat was we normally think of same but appeared to scoop the ball and lob it forward which would imply he had possession of it. There could be a flag for delay or unsportsmanlike conduct for that act but not batting. The R clearly announced batting as the foul and said it was 15 yards from spot of foul and loss of down. That means he was treating at as a live ball foul unless he misspoke.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I was watching the game when it happened. I agree with Suudy...there was what seemed to be an IW. In fact, after the illegal bat forward, a WS receiver picked it up and started to run only to realize that the ball had been blown dead. It was near the near-side sideline, but I don't think it ever went OOB. I immediately thought that it was an IW. I was surprised when all Lemonnier mentioned was the "illegal bat." Maybe (just speculating) he didn't mention the IW because of the acccepted penalty for the foul. Also (unless I'm mistaken) Lemonnier gave the illegal touching signal even though he specifically said "illegal batting."