The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Weirdest calls

G'day everyone.

Let's have a thread about the weird situations that have come up in a game that you've either worked, watched, or heard about.

I've got a couple:
  • In 12 years, I've had just one illegal participation foul. Punt play, K player ran OOB to get closer to R (ball carrier) for a tackle. My LJ had it as well. We applied the 10 yards.
  • I had a 5-flag play this summer: contacting the kicker, two no-yards fouls, and during the return, an illegal block and a block form the rear (aka clip) - all legit flags.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Had the team scored upon elect to kick-off. Seems they felt it might be their only chance for their new kicker to try out his "special" on side kick. Worked too.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

JV game last year we had a 4-man crew and 5 flags on a play. We think it may be the highest FPP (flag per person ratio) we've seen. Seems there was motion, holding, pass interference, block in the back. I think the PI was double-flagged.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Obvious onside kick booted up into the air (not bounced off the ground).

All R players (well-coached, obviously) signaled for a fair catch - but then went on to block (about 7 illegal blocks) - 4 flags

R player waiting to catch the kick is contacted by three K players while trying to catch (kick catching interference, three of them) - 2 flags

Gave just two signals and offset them. Ensuing onside kick was recovered by R.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talked about this on here last year -- not really a weird play as much as a weird enforcement. 1st and ten from the A20. A runner gets loose and takes it to the house, but there is a downfield illegal block in the back at around the B40, and a hold around the B30 (or vice versa on the foul location). Meanwhile, back at the line, one of B's players incidentally grabbed someone's face mask. Thus, we offset everything and went back to first down.

Had B NOT committed the foul, A would have had the ball around midfield, first and ten. Because B committed the foul, A lost 30 yards on the play! Just a quirk in the rules.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

I think its cute the posts that talk about 5 flags on a play.
I wasn't at the game in question, but I know everyone involved (i.e. No urban legend).
I know of an official that threw 5 flags on a single play (well - 2 flags, a hat, a score card, and I think a sock).
WH threw a holding, roughting the kicker, USC, and 2 fighting flags on a single kick play.
ALL from the same person (Against various players).

Best I've personally seen was a Punt, returned for touchdown with
Offensive holding
Roughing the kicker
Return team block in back
Return team USC
Illegal participation

James
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Just thought of another from here.
Illegal participation in a game a few years ago.

Break away run going 80 yards or so. Clear touchdown, no D even chasing the ball carrier anymore, and a COACH comes out from the sideline and decks the ball carrier.

Ejection. God rule to give the TD.

James
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

We had a play one time where we had a lot of flags but not many fouls. It was a learning experience for us. It was a punt return and there was a block in the back just in front of the returner when he was just about to break it for a touchdown. This small area was really the only area on the field where there was action but that doesn't make this any better. When we saw the foul we had four flags on the ground for the same foul. They were spread from one sideline to the middle of the field and all within 1 yard of each other so I think even though we were really spread out we got the spot right. The coach argued that it wasn't a block in the back of course.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

had team b coach, who's team recovered a fumble refuse to take the ball