Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question to the group

I am having trouble with this question:

True of False ??

Relative to ball choice, when there has been no change of possession, the try is not considered to be part of the previous series in which the touchdown was scored.

Reading page 17 of the rule book say's that if B scores that A can bring in a approved ball -- I agree with that

BUT

If A scores a TD is the Extra point a new series of downs?? Can the A kicker bring in a approved ball to kick the Extra point or MUST I use the ball that A scored with?

Thanks

Thanks for the help
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 06:43pm
Small Business Owner

You can find your answer in the 2007 CASE BOOK
1.3.2 SITUATION A (Play b)

Also rule 1.3.2 states that they can change balls for a free kick or start a new series only.
Since a new series is only awarded if they gain a 1st down per 5-1-1, the try by default is part of the previous series.

Thus no new ball on the try.

Now that is the rule. And for test taking purposes your answer should be "FALSE".
In reality though, on the field however, who really cares if they use a bring in a new ball?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
You can find your answer in the 2007 CASE BOOK
1.3.2 SITUATION A (Play b)

Also rule 1.3.2 states that they can change balls for a free kick or start a new series only.
Since a new series is only awarded if they gain a 1st down per 5-1-1, the try by default is part of the previous series.

Thus no new ball on the try.

Now that is the rule. And for test taking purposes your answer should be "FALSE".
In reality though, on the field however, who really cares if they use a bring in a new ball?

I agree...
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
We do. Unless there is a weather reason to change out the ball, they are kicking with what got them there.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree ML, but it's never been an issue. Once A1 scores, we get the ball from the runner and toss it to the umpire who places it for the try. We don't request a new ball from the ball boys and, if A requested one, we'd tell them it's not possible. Frankly, I don't ever remember A ever requesting a new ball.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
With the exception of weather concerns we don't allow the offense to change balls for the try. Teams have tried to slip in their kicking ball and we send it right back out.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
If you combine 1.3.2:
"Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs."

with 5.2.6
"After a series of downs ends, a new series with first and 10 yards to gain is awarded unless one of the following is involved: a try; a field goal; or a free kick after a safety, fair catch, or awarded fair catch."

you conclude that since following a touchdown by A, a try is part of the previous series, since we don't award a new series to A for a try.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Agreed here-before the game we ask where the kicking balls are. Inevitably the manager walks us over to a bag of old worn out balls under the bench and pulls several out. That usually roots out the ones & we get them to show all the balls that they might use and we mark the good ones for use.