The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Any Advice For A Rookie?

Hello all...first post.

I'm still in the middle of the FB rules classes here, but I'm doing a scrimmage tomorrow for the first time and I've got a game scheduled for later this month. Just wondering if some of the veterans here have any advice for a rookie coming in? Anything at all is much appreciated.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Read Rule 2! Over and over again!
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Read ALL of the rules over and over again. You can't apply the rules unless you know them. Know them cold.

Relax, enjoy yourself, and if you have the opportunity to take some plays off (many scrimmages have extra officials there) step back and watch a veteran work some plays. If not, see if you can get someone to film you. Not only can you have someone review it with you to show you where to improve, but years from now, when you're a solid vet, you can look back at how bad you really were.

Ask lots of questions (here is a good start). When you watch a game, watch the officials, not the ball. When you officiate a game, watch the action, not the ball.

Remember that appearance is probably 80% of the job. Dress to perfection. Shoes sparkling, hat crisp, shirt pressed. No stripes showing through your knickers (tuck them into your undergarments). If you step onto the field looking like you are an inferior official, the perception is that you are an inferior official. That goes for weight too. If you're overweight, no matter how hard you try and how much you hustle, you'll be seen as lazy, out of position, etc. Perception is reality. Look the part.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicRef
Hello all...first post.

I'm still in the middle of the FB rules classes here, but I'm doing a scrimmage tomorrow for the first time and I've got a game scheduled for later this month. Just wondering if some of the veterans here have any advice for a rookie coming in? Anything at all is much appreciated.
Keep your whistle out of your mouth.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Unless you are the umpire, stay wide. Angle is much more important than distance in getting a good view of a play, and if you get too close, you won't be able to see everything that's going on.

Avoid ball-watching. At least 75% of the time, you don't have responsibility for the ball, but you still need to keep an eye on the players in your area.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys...thanks for the advice. Just got back from the scrimmage and here's some of things that I noticed:

1. It's a lot easier to officiate watching on TV than actually being on the field.
2. Trying to remember all the responsibilities I've got at a certain officiating position is actually harder than knowing the rules themselves.
3. I noticed that no matter where I was(wing or ump) I was watching the ball >50% of the time, which is something I shouldn't be doing.
4. When I was in the ump position I forgot where the ball was on the original spot a few times because of #2 above.
5. Couple times on the wing I was late on the whistle because I was fumbling for it on my chest. That was at the beginning, after that I kept it in my mouth the whole time.
6. I'm in pretty good shape, but it needs to be better. (On a 1st D and 10 from the O's 15, they ran quick in and the WR caught the ball and started running down the field breaking tackles...I was sprinting right behind him for 60 yards until he was tackled on the other sideline from me around the D's 20 or so. I was so proud of myself for keeping up and getting the spot even though it was on the other sideline. Then I saw the flag...at the line of scrimmage...for holding. All that work for nothing. It took me a couple plays to get back to normal breathing after that.)
7. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Ouch.
8. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited for the next one.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

In red is my response to some of your scrimmage experiences. Below is some other general comments I have.

1. It's a lot easier to officiate watching on TV than actually being on the field. Yes, but use watch TV games from a officiating standpoint. See if you agree with their calls and think of the penalty enforcement before they say it. Even for NFL games, think about it as if it was an NF game.
2. Trying to remember all the responsibilities I've got at a certain officiating position is actually harder than knowing the rules themselves. This is why it is CRITICAL you have a solid presnap routine.
3. I noticed that no matter where I was(wing or ump) I was watching the ball >50% of the time, which is something I shouldn't be doing. Experience helps most with this, but a presnap routine which reminds you of what to watch for is important. Also remember that you must watch other things when the ball is not in your area for the safety of the players.
4. When I was in the ump position I forgot where the ball was on the original spot a few times because of #2 above. Have a second "down indicator." One for the down and one for the ball position.
5. Couple times on the wing I was late on the whistle because I was fumbling for it on my chest. That was at the beginning, after that I kept it in my mouth the whole time. DON'T keep it in your mouth. A little late is a lot better than a little early!! One of my wings uses to long lanyards clipped together so it is down almost to his belt. He then can run with it in his hand and run with normal arm movement.
6. I'm in pretty good shape, but it needs to be better. (On a 1st D and 10 from the O's 15, they ran quick in and the WR caught the ball and started running down the field breaking tackles...I was sprinting right behind him for 60 yards until he was tackled on the other sideline from me around the D's 20 or so. I was so proud of myself for keeping up and getting the spot even though it was on the other sideline. Then I saw the flag...at the line of scrimmage...for holding. All that work for nothing. It took me a couple plays to get back to normal breathing after that.) Nothing you can do there. They will always be faster than you. Especially varsity HS and college players and you will always be sucking air after a 60 yard sprint. You did a great job of hustling and getting the spot even though it came back.
7. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Ouch.
8. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited for the next one. Glad you're excited! Welcome aboard!

Here are a few other things to think about.
Buy the Redding Study Guide https://thatsitideas.com/doublesdist...onlineform.htm cuz it is awesome. Read it, highlight it, and work as many games as you can.

Go to a clinic or two if you can and any on field stuff at a clinic is a bonus.

This board, the NF board, http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...?ubb=forum;f=9, and refstripes http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0, are great sites that focuses on NF FB. You can learn from reading, looking in the rulebook for answers, posting, and asking your own questions.

A mentor is a great way to go if you have someone who is good and will work with you. Talk to him about things as often as he will let you, via email or phone.

Start watching games and thinking of what the signals and enforcements for fouls that you see happen are before the official comes on and does the signal and enforces the penalty.

HAVE FUN AND NEVER STOP LEARNING OR STUDYING!!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!

Grant's site has a ton of good stuff. http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm

Last edited by MJT; Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 11:46am.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Having taught new officials for the last 10 or so years, I offer these from experience---

Study, study, study.

Keep your mouth shut and listen to what people tell you. Be a sponge. Don't tell your mentors what you know about officiating because you don't know anything yet.

You already learned that it's easier to officiate while watching TV. That usually gets the talkers to be quiet.

Don't watch the ball.

Keep the whistle out of your mouth.

Work as many snaps as you can. If you work multiple Youth games on a day, work on something each game.

Keep the whistle out of your mouth.

Always hustle. Treat every game the same. That Mitey-Mite game is just as important to the parents/players as any NFL/NCAA game is to the participants.

Keep the whistle out of your mouth
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
5. Couple times on the wing I was late on the whistle because I was fumbling for it on my chest. That was at the beginning, after that I kept it in my mouth the whole time. DON'T keep it in your mouth. A little late is a lot better than a little early!! One of my wings uses to long lanyards clipped together so it is down almost to his belt. He then can run with it in his hand and run with normal arm movement.
I'd like to echo this - don't keep the whistle in your mouth. Most guys also use a finger whistle. I prefer a wrist lanyard but it's the same idea. I don't wear a whistle around my neck.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the link MJT...I think I'll register on those boards today.

It's interesting you guys keep saying to keep the whistle out of my mouth because that's what the veteran ref told me at the beginning. Then he saw me fumbling around for the whistle when I was late a couple times and he told me "don't be late on the whistle!" Then near the middle of the day he told me to keep it in my mouth because it was better than being late. I think getting another landyard and clipping them together so I can run with it in my hand is a great idea. I thought about getting the ring whistle that fits on the fingers, but it just wasn't comfortable to me. I haven't heard of a wrist landyard. I have a landyard right now that has a little black button that moves up and down to tighten or loosen it, I suppose if I put that on my wrist and tightened it up then I could keep it in my hand and run. Is that what you meant, waltjp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
2. Trying to remember all the responsibilities I've got at a certain officiating position is actually harder than knowing the rules themselves. This is why it is CRITICAL you have a solid presnap routine.
So then what are your presnap routines? A lot of trouble I had on the wing was trying to figure out whether they had 7 guys on the line. A lot of the time it seemed to me that the wideout closest to me was in "no-mans-land", but I would punch him off instead of calling an illegal formation because I couldn't see to the other side of the field to know whether they had other guys out there. The HL told me to "count the backs", but I couldn't get out of him how that would work. I suppose if they have 3 backs and a QB then if my guy is on and other opposite guy is on then they have 7.

Last edited by ForensicRef; Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 01:05pm.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

ForensicRef, see the new thread I started regarding presnap routines. I'll provide mine for the R position and hopefully some guys from other positions will do the same so we all learn and confirm things. I will be working wing and deep for some college games this year, so I will do the same for those positions when I have time. It is a great thing to do.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicRef
5. Couple times on the wing I was late on the whistle because I was fumbling for it on my chest. That was at the beginning, after that I kept it in my mouth the whole time.
Which is exactly what I told you NOT to do.

If you keep your whistle in your mouth, you're going to blow it when you shouldn't, AKA an inadvertant whistle.

DO NOT KEEP THE WHISTLE IN YOUR MOUTH. If you do, you're going to blow it when you think the runner's down and he's not, you think he's down but the ball is loose, or you think he has the ball but someone else actually does.

Officiating football is a series of repititions. You do the same things over and over and over and over.... Don't worry, the more you do it, the more habitually it will become.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 08:06pm.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

so, wearing the ring on your finger, how can you blow the whistle and signal the end of a play at the same time? Like, how can you whistle and signal an incompletion?
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Which is exactly what I told you NOT to do.

If you keep your whistle in your mouth, you're going to blow it when you shouldn't, AKA an inadvertant whistle.

DO NOT KEEP THE WHISTLE IN YOUR MOUTH. If you do, you're going to blow it when you think the runner's down and he's not, you think he's down but the ball is loose, or you think he has the ball but someone else actually does.

Officiating football is a series of repititions. You do the same things over and over and over and over.... Don't worry, the more you do it, the more habitually it will become.
Well, see that's the thing. I had it out and got yelled at for late whistles and then the ref told me to just keep it in my mouth. I tested out the wrist landyard thing at home after waltjp suggested it and I think that's going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
so, wearing the ring on your finger, how can you blow the whistle and signal the end of a play at the same time? Like, how can you whistle and signal an incompletion?
Well, what I saw the guy that had that today do was blow the play dead quickly and then make the call right afterwards. For example, when the runner goes down, blow the whistle loud and as you run in for the spot then make the hand signal. I guess that's really the only way right?
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

On just about any play, a whistle isn't even needed. The play kills itself. The whistle is just an indicator that the play is over. I might blow my whistle once or twice a game. (I work as a deep official) You don't need a whistle when everyone in the stadium knows the pass is incomplete or the runner is down, or it's a TD, etc.

I know there are a lot of people that argue the need for whistles, especially in lower level ball, but the fact is that the play is over when the play is over, not when the whistle blows. (unless it's an inadvertant whistle) Get in the habit of NOT blowing it. Use your voice to talk to the players, use your whistle only when you have to.