The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Colorado quarterback scrambles and throws a touchdown, only to have the referee run up to the line and drop a flag, saying he was past the line. I believe the replay showed it was a legit pass and the umpire was right on top of it, about three yards away looking right at it. They had the supervisor of officials in the booth and asked him about it. Of course, he was diplomatic saying they would have to "look at it some more", and that normally that wouldn't be the R's call as he was trailing the play. I think you could even see a look of disgust on the R's face as he moved to an open area to report the foul. Anyone who saw it having any comments?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Looked like a legal forward pass to me. Either way, it was definitely not the Referee's call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

I saw the play in question, and I yelled "He's past the line", as soon as he let the ball go. The replays fortified my thoughts. It looked like he was almost a yard beyond the line.

Bob
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

The Ref's retiring anyway

I believe they were SEC officials, the ones with the flags hanging out. If so, the Referee announced he is retiring anyway.

That one play did not change the overall outcome of the game.

Good thing those Ducks have webbed feet so they wouldn't slip and sink on those Buffalo chips.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not questioning the judgement on that call (cuz I don't like the Buffs.Really coach Barnett), but what I am questioning is why the U didn't make the call. At the very least the R could have dropped a beanbag at the point he felt the ball was released, then he could have looked over at the down marker and made his decision afterwards.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

My first concern is that the R made the call from several yards behind the play. The U was in the right position to make the call and did not flag it. Secondly, is there a different set of rules regarding when the passer is beyond the LOS in NCAA vs. Federation. I know in Fed rules it states that "both feet of the passer must be in or behind the NZ". It does not address whether the ball or the passers' arm must be. Does NCAA word the rule the same way as Fed or does the location of the ball/passers's arm make any difference. It appeared to me that both feet of the passer were in or behind the NZ, therefore no penalty.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 7-3-2a FR-90
A forward pass is illegal:
a . If thrown by Team A when the passer is beyond the neutral zone

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith