The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA: Fair Catch (https://forum.officiating.com/football/34718-ncaa-fair-catch.html)

DJ_NV Thu May 17, 2007 11:13am

NCAA: Fair Catch

Is there any scenario during a free or scrimmage kick where B gives a valid or invalid fair catch signal and the ball does not become dead when possessed by B? I believe that fair catch rules (and therefore signals) don't apply if the ball does not cross the NZ, but then neither do most of the SK provisions, correct?

Theisey Thu May 17, 2007 10:49pm

Unlike under NF rules, fair catch rules for NCAA apply on a scrimmage kick only if the kicked ball crosses the NZ.

Sonofanump Fri May 18, 2007 10:53am

I have never thought about this scenario before for NFHS, but, what if (our favorite question from rules meetings) A/K kicks the ball, B/R sees that the ball is going to not cross the neutral zone so he signals for a fair catch so that the ball becomes dead if A/K catches it. Is the fair catch signal valid?

ljudge Fri May 18, 2007 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump
I have never thought about this scenario before for NFHS, but, what if (our favorite question from rules meetings) A/K kicks the ball, B/R sees that the ball is going to not cross the neutral zone so he signals for a fair catch so that the ball becomes dead if A/K catches it. Is the fair catch signal valid?

The ball would NOT become dead if A/K catches behind the NZ in fed ball.

And, in NCAA ball the ball will remain life if A catches the ball behind the NZ so long as B didn't touch it beyond the NZ first.

And, as I understand it in NCAA ball if B gives a valid signal and catches it behind the NZ the ball does NOT become dead (4-1-3 g) and he may still advance.

Bob M. Fri May 18, 2007 03:11pm

Quote:

REPLY: By (Federation) definitions 2-9-3 and 2-9-4a, the signal is certainly valid, but as ljudge pointed out, if A/K catches the kick behind the neutral zone, the ball does remain live with the opportunity for A/K to advance. If B/R caught it behind the neutral zone (after signaling), the ball would be dead (see NF 4-2-2g), but it would not be a fair catch. [Note to THeisey: Remember this one Tom?]

Sonofanump Fri May 18, 2007 04:35pm

Wait, this got me thinking. 2-9-1 says "in or beyond the NZ". So it would not be fair catch for B/R but the ball would be dead?

Theisey Fri May 18, 2007 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: ... [Note to THeisey: Remember this one Tom?]

Its like that robot in the Terminator... it just keep comings back at you.:D

Bob M. Mon May 21, 2007 01:30pm

Quote:

Wait, this got me thinking. 2-9-1 says "in or beyond the NZ". So it would not be fair catch for B/R but the ball would be dead?

REPLY: In a word...Yes.