The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Joe Theismann

The New York Times says Joe Theismann is out of ESPN's MNF booth and will be replaced by Ron Jaworski.

Now, if Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Hawk Harrelson will be removed from the baseball broadcasts, it will be a much nicer world.

Bob
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I agree! One small step for removing the ignorance from the broadcast booth.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
The New York Times says Joe Theismann is out of ESPN's MNF booth and will be replaced by Ron Jaworski.
That's going to reduce the chances of my getting Mr. Jaworski to coach the C-QB exchange in the sidesaddle T. So far he hasn't even answered my question (posed thru his WWW site) about just referring me to someone who could coach it. Someone wrote a few months ago that Jaworski had recently said he'd been a sidesaddle QB -- whether at Youngstown St. or elsewhere, I don't know.

Robert
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
That's going to reduce the chances of my getting Mr. Jaworski to coach the C-QB exchange in the sidesaddle T. So far he hasn't even answered my question (posed thru his WWW site) about just referring me to someone who could coach it. Someone wrote a few months ago that Jaworski had recently said he'd been a sidesaddle QB -- whether at Youngstown St. or elsewhere, I don't know.

Robert
Be wary of guys who ride sidesaddle! I hope it's true about Theisman. He simply TALKS TOO MUCH! I like Joe Morgan. He says good things.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now, if Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Hawk Harrelson will be removed from the baseball broadcasts, it will be a much nicer world.

Bob
Amen. One day Hawk'll "Be Gone!"
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Jaworski vs. Theismann like apples and oranges.

Go Jaws!

I thought of you, Bob M., when this story broke. I know you're such a Theismann fan!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Good move. I can't stand to listen to Theismann. He may be the biggest reason that I have started watching games with the volume down! He's worse than Howard!
McCarver should be next, followed by Harrelson. Personally, I like Joe Morgan, though at times he does go on too long about elementary matters.
Jack Buck was good and even Harry Carey was tolerable (in his early years), but what we need is the next Dizzy Dean!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird
Good move. I can't stand to listen to Theismann. He may be the biggest reason that I have started watching games with the volume down! He's worse than Howard!
McCarver should be next, followed by Harrelson. Personally, I like Joe Morgan, though at times he does go on too long about elementary matters.
Jack Buck was good and even Harry Carey was tolerable (in his early years), but what we need is the next Dizzy Dean!
Harry Carey was an actor. Harry Caray was a drunken slob, who spent more time telling about who ate at his restaurant the previous night, than announcing the game. When I watched the Cubs games, I would turn down the volume, or if the game was on the other team's channel, I'd watch that one. Sometimes he didn't know who was at bat, or who the Cubs were playing. He was booted out of St. Louis for doing something no decent person would do. To see his statue in front of Wrigley field, makes me sick.

Bob
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Harry Carey was an actor. Harry Caray was a drunken slob, who spent more time telling about who ate at his restaurant the previous night, than announcing the game. When I watched the Cubs games, I would turn down the volume, or if the game was on the other team's channel, I'd watch that one. Sometimes he didn't know who was at bat, or who the Cubs were playing. He was booted out of St. Louis for doing something no decent person would do. To see his statue in front of Wrigley field, makes me sick.

Bob
No big argument here.
"...Harry Carey was tolerable (in his early years)..."
I was referring to the 60's with the Cardinals. Since I was young and loved the Cardinals, maybe I felt Harry was as grand as the Redbirds! As I grew older and not as naive, I realized what he was and was glad that he went to Chicago.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If anyone should be removed from MNF it would be Kornheiser. I can't stand it when they put guys in the booth who have never played a minute on the field and are inserted as comic relief. I'd much rather have Theisman than Kornheiser any time. As to Cossell, you must be out of your gourd. Cossell was the biggest mouth ever in a booth. Thank God he has been gone for a long time.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to figure out why they even need announcers at all. I'm much more entertained by the public address announcer. I say shut the TV guys off and give us the feed to the PA announcer.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

"I'm trying to figure out why they even need announcers at all. I'm much more entertained by the public address announcer. I say shut the TV guys off and give us the feed to the PA announcer."

Especially the guys at the Georgia HS game on the free kick FG!
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Especially the guys at the Georgia HS game on the free kick FG!
REPLY: But you have to admit, they were funnier than most of the sitcoms on TV these days!
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
I'm trying to figure out why they even need announcers at all. I'm much more entertained by the public address announcer. I say shut the TV guys off and give us the feed to the PA announcer.
NBC tried this once about 10 - 15 years ago for an end of the season game. No announcers, just the picture and an open mike for crowd noise. It was OK if you watched the game intently but, since most of us do other things while we watch at home, it didn't work very well.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earmitage
If anyone should be removed from MNF it would be Kornheiser. I can't stand it when they put guys in the booth who have never played a minute on the field and are inserted as comic relief. I'd much rather have Theisman than Kornheiser any time. As to Cossell, you must be out of your gourd. Cossell was the biggest mouth ever in a booth. Thank God he has been gone for a long time.
Cosell got old. Dandy Don was good. I used to turn the sound down on the TV and turn on the radio. Jack Buck and Hank Stram were the best pair ever to do sports!