The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

The more I think about it; I'd say changes will probably
be coming soon as a result of the new NFL gear !!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see changes in the fabric used to make the uniforms. I'd really like to have the moisture wicking fabric and insulated fabric such as Reebok's Play Dry or Play Warm. Nike and UA also make similar fabrics.

I'd also allow wearing of heavier jackets or pullovers (NFL style) for very cold weather.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be willing to bet that the NFL pant experiment failed. I doubt they will be back next year and won't catch on (for a lot of reasons) at the lower levels.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I'd be willing to bet that the NFL pant experiment failed. I doubt they will be back next year and won't catch on (for a lot of reasons) at the lower levels.
Care to expand on your statements above?

How exactly did the pant experiment fail? I've read nothing about the pants being discontinued next year. If the officials on the field like the pants then I'd wager they will be hanging around.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say I knew what would happen, I said "I'd bet." I think the experiment failed because 1) they looked hideous and 2) there weren't very many crews that wore them.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see shorts removed from the uniform list. The specification is so loose and so many officials look awful in them.

Honigs cotton shirt is a step in the right direction. Polyester shirts are hot. Golfers pretty much wear cotton and they are in the hot sun all day.

Forget the black pants worn by the NFL unless you are going to bowl after the football game. Would like to see knickers that allow layers underneath for cold weather.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Golfers pretty much wear cotton and they are in the hot sun all day.
Not anymore. They are by and large going toward the poly microfiber shirts, and in many cases, pants too. Poly isn't hot; its the old style double knit polyester that's hot. Try the Officials Choice shirts or the Cliff Keen ones. You will take back every (well, almost every) nasty thing you ever said about polyester.

Trust me!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Don't take the collar off. It looks geeky without a collar. Don't go to black pants. It reminds me of flag football. As for cold, I wear underarmor on top and long johns below. No problem.

I'd suggest a red flag for afternoon games late in the fall on what looks like wheatfields! As a kid, I remember red flags in the games.

I'd outlaw the blue bags. They are hard to see on green fields. Whoever came up with that idea was looking to make a buck. I am not into fads.

I would outlaw any trim or stripes or non-white colors on the shoes. I think those things look CHEAP and make the official look unprofessional. If we are to wear a "uniform", then the entire crew should wear the identical UNIFORM, including the shoes.

I think the uniform looks sharp as it is. Only problem is keeping the pants white.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref

I think the uniform looks sharp as it is. Only problem is keeping the pants white.
Oxy Clean does wonders for the knickers. I use a bit with a regular wash. For those extremely muddy days, soak the knickers in Oxy Clean, then wash with Oxy Clean and detergent.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Oxy clean works great when I do the White hat; but most of the time I'm in the middle with the Big Eaters and it is huge difference on how clean you can stay. We work on fields that include all sports including football; after rain at the end of the season they are big mud pits. On the plus side you can pick a lot of worms at night.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
I would like to see shorts removed from the uniform list. The specification is so loose and so many officials look awful in them.

Honigs cotton shirt is a step in the right direction. Polyester shirts are hot. Golfers pretty much wear cotton and they are in the hot sun all day.

Forget the black pants worn by the NFL unless you are going to bowl after the football game. Would like to see knickers that allow layers underneath for cold weather.
I couldn't have said it better Ed. I aggree totaly with all you've said

BTW I'm one of thoes officials who look awful in shorts
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oxy Clean does wonders for the knickers. I use a bit with a regular wash. For those extremely muddy days, soak the knickers in Oxy Clean, then wash with Oxy Clean and detergent.
Thanks Ed!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
Aside from playing sports as a kid I was also a BMX racer. I used to ride my single speek BMX bikes ridiculous mileages every day. It was during those years that my thigh's grew huge. With that said I could stand to drop 30. lol
Ha! Sounds familiar - I never was involved in competitive racing, but I rode a series of old 20-inch BMX bikes EVERYWHERE. (Including, by the way, to my first officiating gigs as an umpire at the local Little League.) Stop riding when I got to college, but then I took up fencing, so I'm in exactly the same boat as you (extra 30 pounds and all).
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is entirely possible that I look awful in shorts, too. But the lacrosse uniform is pretty much exactly the football uniform, except that we wear shorts (and the socks are solid black at the top instead of striped). It's so much more comfortable that I would be very happy if they became generally accepted. Somehow, though, I don't see it happening.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Ha! Sounds familiar - I never was involved in competitive racing, but I rode a series of old 20-inch BMX bikes EVERYWHERE. (Including, by the way, to my first officiating gigs as an umpire at the local Little League.) Stop riding when I got to college, but then I took up fencing, so I'm in exactly the same boat as you (extra 30 pounds and all).
I vote all former BMX'ers (racers or just kids who lived on their BMX bikes) are all given amnesty from wearing knickers because we tend to have huge legs and usually get fat after we quit riding. lol