The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Home team is trailing 46-6 in the middle of the fourth quarter.

With the visiting team on offense, the band strikes up a loud tune almost drowning out the offensive signals.

When the home team goes on offense, the band once again plays but this time a soft tune.

The visiting coach was winning by a country mile and did not say a word.

But what if he became upset with the band's routine.

Should we as officials seek to control the band playing?

Is there a penalty for a too loud band?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ed in cases like this I would probably defer to game management, unless it becomes clearly an unfair act under rule 9-9-1. Often times if you inform the head coach of your concerns he will take care of the problem immediately.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Georgia, our state regulations state that the band will not play during a live ball. However, it is up to the offended coach to complain before the referee is to take action. He thens notifies the offending coach, and he uses whatever method he has to ensure compliance. The next occurence results in a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Have only heard of one coach complaining to our officials about this in 4 years.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA- We ask them to tone it down, if not we would then flag them. The coach usually takes care of it after a warning and it is not problem.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Over the years we have occasionally had to ask a band to not play while the other team was calling signals. Have never had a problem once we made this request. My favorite incident was when a coach complained that the band was preventing his linemen from hearing the count. I had to inform him it was his own band and he'd have to handle it. On the college level one thing I have observed, which I think the NCAA should address, is using the PA system playing loud music until the visiting team comes to the line. This way the crowd only has to make noise for 5 to 10 seconds in an attempt to disrupt the offense. I personally feel no music or "noise" should be played over the PA while the 25 second clock is running.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have attended several Purdue games this year and the bands always stop when the offence starts moving towards the ball. I don't think that i've heard a high school band playing during a game after the ready for play signal.