The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   4 vs 5 Man Coverage (https://forum.officiating.com/football/31317-4-vs-5-man-coverage.html)

Ed Hickland Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:28pm

4 vs 5 Man Coverage

I need reasons why 4-man coverage is insufficient in today's game and why 5-man is better.

MJT Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19am

1. A man in the middle for pass coverage.
2. Better coverage on punts, by far!
3. Less officials with more than one man to watch in pass coverage.
4. Better dead ball officiating.
5. Better sideline coverage on plays going OOB's.
6. Better goal line coverage on long runs or passes.
7. Better chance of getting IBW ahead of the ball on sweeps.
8. Easier to get the defense counted without having to worry about receivers on the line, off the line, unbalanced,...
9. Better ball handling with the triangle, if your BJ gets involved.
10. Better forward progress spots by wings cuz they don't have to release downfield so fast on passes.
That's about all I can think of, but they are pretty critical.

bisonlj Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22pm

Great list of arguments MJT for 4 vs. 5. I'd be curious to see a list for 5 vs. 6 because I think a lot of the same points would apply. I've had several situations as a wing where I know something isn't covered because we only have 5 guys instead of 6.

For example, the right tackle can get away with holding on a pass play if he's on my side. I watch the initial charge but if I read pass, I'm releasing downfield with the receivers. The R is looking through the QB and watching the left tackle and may not see the right tackle on the backside holding. The U might see it, but his focus is G-C-G.

If we had 6 officials, I wouldn't need to release downfield on pass plays and could help watch the continued blocking better. I've had coaches complain about holding in these situations so I will take a few extra peaks back as I'm covering the receivers to see if I see anything. I have caught holding on a couple occasions that would have otherwise been missed (most of the time it's a baseless complaint though).

I would like to see 6 officials for high school games because I think it provides better coverage but with shrinking HS athletic budgets and officials shortages, I'm not sure it will happen.

stevestod Tue Jan 30, 2007 01:49pm

The BJ can key on the TE during sweeps to the strong side. TE's get away with a lot of holding during sweeps if the BJ does not keep a close watch.

NickelDeuce Tue Jan 30, 2007 01:53pm

10 eyes are better than 8.

FredFan7 Tue Jan 30, 2007 02:14pm

Better coverage for field goals and extra points too.

The Roamin' Umpire Tue Jan 30, 2007 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT
4. Better dead ball officiating.

If you need to sell the idea to administrators, this is your bread-and-butter argument. The fifth man on the field, especially from that vantage, makes it immensely more likely that any "extracurricular" activities are noticed, flagged if necessary, and shut down right away, leading to a less chippy and ultimately safer game for everyone involved.