The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 37
He must have? You figure he fell between 10 and 17 in ranking? Who knows where he was at.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
He was working last week wasn't he? Could it finally be his year? I have always liked the job he did, but it always seemed that there was 1 game a year which didn't go well and it seemed to keep him from the big one....

Corrente is fine and will do a great job but...... why is Mike Carey getting overlooked? It seems that he and Ed are the "face" of NFL R's. JMO.....
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 798
Funny comments regarding big Ed!

I'm this is Paganelli's 2nd Supe in 3 years. I worked as an usher at SB XXXIX in Jacksonville and the jumbotron showed a little girl holding up a sign during the game....

"My daddy is the Umpire...go #124."

Also, I just watched the officiating segment on NFL Network (on NFL.com). I don't know the host's name. He was asking Mike Pereira if he would reveal the names of the officials awarded the Super Bowl. (obviously it's now dated because we know from the other post).

Mike indicated that for the CC and the SB the top 3 from each position get assigned based on their performance of their 1,800 - 2,000 plays they work during the regular season.

But anyway the host then asked....

"is how much can someone benchpress...is that not included for Ed Hochuli's sake...is that part of the equation?"

Mike Pereira responded saying....

"actually....actually, that's not....and neither is the size of the shirt."

Last edited by ljudge; Sat Jan 20, 2007 at 05:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 06:50pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,024
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman42
New Orleans/Chicago
Mcaulay
Hall
Payne
Spanier
Gautreaux
Carlsen
Steed
ALT-Green
ALT-Defelice
Replay-Hill
I'm certainly not an expert, however, these boys get two thumbs up from me today!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41
SB selection.

After watching Corrente butcher roughing the passer calls all year, I'm amazed they would put him in such a high profile game,( everyone makes a mistake, but he seemed to do it often) and risk another PR issue. He seems to do well other that he doesn't have good judgement on roughing the passer. I'm sorry, I just don't see him as a top ten referee, let alone doing the Super bowl. TMO

Maybe this is the year the NFL wants Manning to get his championship?

Total arbitrary ranking of NFL officials. Take it for what its worth. But I found it interesting.

Season Zebra Crew Rankings as of Divisional Week
Official 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 WC D C SB Total
Bill Vinovich 5 1 - 1 1 1 11 - 6 2 6 3 1 1 5 4 1 1 - - - 1
Jeff Triplette 10 11 2 9 - 2 1 1 - 1 10 1 4 12 1 3 2 2 - - - 2
Ed Hochuli 3 3 1 6 6 5 - 2 3 12 - 6 7 9 8 2 11 - - - - 3
Bill Leavy 4 7 9 7 3 - 12 4 5 10 3 8 11 6 - 9 5 - 1 - - 4
Gene Steratore 9 5 7 10 11 8 3 - 10 4 4 5 - 13 4 1 3 - - - - 5
Jerome Boger 6 6 8 3 - 9 8 9 8 7 7 12 3 3 7 - 6 - - - - 6
Pete Morelli 7 9 11 - 4 12 2 10 1 11 1 - 6 2 3 6 12 4 - - - 7
Scott Green - 4 13 4 - 11 7 7 2 13 8 7 12 10 2 5 4 - - - - 8
Bill Carollo 1 16 12 - 7 10 10 - 9 15 5 9 8 4 9 7 14 - - - - 9
Ron Winter 2 8 4 12 9 - 13 6 13 16 15 4 9 5 15 14 - - - - - 10
Tony Corrente 8 15 5 - 13 7 6 5 - 5 11 16 15 11 10 13 15 - 2 - - 11
Terry McAulay 15 14 3 5 8 6 - 3 12 3 9 11 5 16 11 8 8 - - - - 12
Walt Coleman 13 10 - 14 2 4 - 8 7 14 13 14 16 14 14 16 13 - - - - 13
Larry Nemmers 14 13 - 8 10 3 9 13 - 6 14 10 10 8 6 12 16 - - - - 14
Mike Carey 11 2 6 2 5 13 - 14 11 8 2 15 2 - 12 10 7 - 3 - - 15
Walt Anderson 16 12 10 11 12 - 4 12 4 - 12 2 14 7 13 15 10 3 - - - 16
Gerald Austin 12 - 14 13 14 - 5 11 14 9 16 13 13 15 16 11 9 - 4 - - 17

Last edited by Trap; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 05:28pm.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cheyenne, wyoming
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap
Maybe this is the year the NFL wants Manning to get his championship?
Please tell me you are kidding....please please pleaaaaaase.....
__________________
The officials lament, or the coaches excuses as it were: "I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you"
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap
Total arbitrary ranking of NFL officials. Take it for what its worth.
...

Nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 204
The NFL is continuing what it did last year -- after a 3 year haitus from all star crews, it switched to them last year for the championship round and the superbowl and it's doing that again this year.

Word is that Hochuli deferred to get priority for the superbowl next year in his hometown. It's strange that he didn't ref a single game, though, this year. Maybe he's the ALT again for the Superbowl, as he was, I believe, for 39.

I think that the crews have been superb for all 10 games so far, with Vinovich's crew standing out as the cream of the crop in his first playoff game.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven

Word is that Hochuli deferred to get priority for the superbowl next year in his hometown. It's strange that he didn't ref a single game, though, this year. Maybe he's the ALT again for the Superbowl, as he was, I believe, for 39.
You're correct, he was the alt for 39. It's funny how he's well-liked by NFL fans. He was walking down the endline in one of the endzones about an hour or so prior to the game. He literally got a standing O from the fans in the lower endzone seating area as he walked by. He acknowledged with a quick wave.

I don't understand how he would get "priority" though as they use all-star crews as rulesmaven states. He still has to be the best out of the 16 or 17 referees they have.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Clinton Township, NJ
Posts: 2,065
REPLY: Triplette, not Hochuli, is the alternate R for the Super Bowl.
__________________
Bob M.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I don't understand how he would get "priority" though as they use all-star crews as rulesmaven states. He still has to be the best out of the 16 or 17 referees they have.

I'm not suggesting that if he has a bad year he'll get the game. But what I've heard is that he made it clear that to the extent he was up for it this year, he'd prefer next. (You cannot officiate two superbowls in a row.)

The fact that he's officiated 17 post-season games in 15 years and his crew was near the top this year in ratings, but he did not do any post-season games this year I think lends some support to the rumor. I think it's unlikely that his crew was not in the top 9 this year, yet he's not in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure that for the last 3 games, it's not necessarily 1 that gets the SB and 2 and 3 that get the championship games. I just think you need to be top 3, and then not disqualified by one of the other rules (e.g., must have more than 4 years experience, or more than 5 unless you've done a championship game, must have not done the game the last year, etc.)

Bottom line is that if he's in the top 5 or 6 next year at his position, I will take even money that he will end up with the game by hook or crook.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:18pm
MJT MJT is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alton, Iowa
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap
After watching Corrente butcher roughing the passer calls all year, I'm amazed they would put him in such a high profile game,( everyone makes a mistake, but he seemed to do it often) and risk another PR issue. He seems to do well other that he doesn't have good judgement on roughing the passer. I'm sorry, I just don't see him as a top ten referee, let alone doing the Super bowl. TMO

Maybe this is the year the NFL wants Manning to get his championship?

Total arbitrary ranking of NFL officials. Take it for what its worth. But I found it interesting.

Season Zebra Crew Rankings as of Divisional Week
Official 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 WC D C SB Total
Bill Vinovich 5 1 - 1 1 1 11 - 6 2 6 3 1 1 5 4 1 1 - - - 1
Jeff Triplette 10 11 2 9 - 2 1 1 - 1 10 1 4 12 1 3 2 2 - - - 2
Ed Hochuli 3 3 1 6 6 5 - 2 3 12 - 6 7 9 8 2 11 - - - - 3
Bill Leavy 4 7 9 7 3 - 12 4 5 10 3 8 11 6 - 9 5 - 1 - - 4
Gene Steratore 9 5 7 10 11 8 3 - 10 4 4 5 - 13 4 1 3 - - - - 5
Jerome Boger 6 6 8 3 - 9 8 9 8 7 7 12 3 3 7 - 6 - - - - 6
Pete Morelli 7 9 11 - 4 12 2 10 1 11 1 - 6 2 3 6 12 4 - - - 7
Scott Green - 4 13 4 - 11 7 7 2 13 8 7 12 10 2 5 4 - - - - 8
Bill Carollo 1 16 12 - 7 10 10 - 9 15 5 9 8 4 9 7 14 - - - - 9
Ron Winter 2 8 4 12 9 - 13 6 13 16 15 4 9 5 15 14 - - - - - 10
Tony Corrente 8 15 5 - 13 7 6 5 - 5 11 16 15 11 10 13 15 - 2 - - 11
Terry McAulay 15 14 3 5 8 6 - 3 12 3 9 11 5 16 11 8 8 - - - - 12
Walt Coleman 13 10 - 14 2 4 - 8 7 14 13 14 16 14 14 16 13 - - - - 13
Larry Nemmers 14 13 - 8 10 3 9 13 - 6 14 10 10 8 6 12 16 - - - - 14
Mike Carey 11 2 6 2 5 13 - 14 11 8 2 15 2 - 12 10 7 - 3 - - 15
Walt Anderson 16 12 10 11 12 - 4 12 4 - 12 2 14 7 13 15 10 3 - - - 16
Gerald Austin 12 - 14 13 14 - 5 11 14 9 16 13 13 15 16 11 9 - 4 - - 17
Who came up with these rankings? To do so, they would have had to watch every game, KNOW the NFL rules (not like the announcers or fans), and compare them against each other.

Last edited by MJT; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 04:09pm.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Who came up with these rankings? Do do so, they would have had to watch every game, KNOW the NFL rules (not like the announcers or fans), and compare them against each other.
This is just my completely humble opinion, but any ranking that has Ron Winter above McAulay, Carey, Anderson, and Austin is very strange. Also, it has the Super Bowl R ranked 11th.

I'll pass.
__________________
Throwing people out of a game is like riding a bike- once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun.- Ron Luciano
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
The rankings look like they are from bad-zebras.com

These are rankings derived from votes by fans as to whether or not they feel the game was officiated properly.

In other words, complete garbage.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 728
Don't worry, you too can look like Ed Hochuli!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCAA vs. Conference Officials FrankHtown Basketball 49 Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:03pm
2005 Conference Championship and Super Bowl Officials johnSandlin Football 19 Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:06pm
Women's Championship officials?? lasert Basketball 43 Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:47am
college officials for conference game Josh Ovens Basketball 5 Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:25pm
Officials for Final Four & Championship Game Ref42 Basketball 11 Mon Apr 02, 2001 04:00pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1