The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Two weeks ago, I was FJ for an intramural flag football game. Team A had the ball 4th and long, and decided to punt. The ball was kicked, but due to the wind, it did not travel very far. The ball bounced off the ground, and then R1 touched the ball (trying to catch it), but he only tipped the ball up into the air. K1 then caught the ball, and ran short of the line-to-gain. Our crew ruled that because K did not reach the line-to-gain in four downs, it was R's ball.

My questions are:
(1) Was this correct - team A/K needs to reach the line-to-gain no matter what?

(2) Would the situation be any different had R caught the ball and then fumbled it?

I'd like to know what the rulings would be under NF and NCAA rules, if possible.

Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

dont know the reference but i am predicting a new set of downs is awarded to the team that recovers a muffed or fumbled scrimmage kick no matter what the line to gain is. in fact i am almost 99 percent sure of it. just a coach's prediction though.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

In NF, if R touched the ball in advance of the neutral zone, it would be first and ten for the team in possession at the end of the down. I R touches the punt in or behind the neutral zone this does not apply. Also, K cannot advance if recovered past the NZ, but can if they recover behind the NZ.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Two weeks ago, I was FJ for an intramural flag football game. Team A had the ball 4th and long, and decided to punt. The ball was kicked, but due to the wind, it did not travel very far. The ball bounced off the ground, and then R1 touched the ball (trying to catch it), but he only tipped the ball up into the air. K1 then caught the ball, and ran short of the line-to-gain. Our crew ruled that because K did not reach the line-to-gain in four downs, it was R's ball.

My questions are:

(2) Would the situation be any different had R caught the ball and then fumbled it?

I'd like to know what the rulings would be under NF and NCAA rules, if possible.

Thanks.
So the NF answers would be:

(1) No, it wasn't correct. As has been stated, if R touches the ball first, beyond the LOS, then the team in possession at the end of the down will get a new series of downs.

(2) Only in that K would be able to advance the ball, had it been fumbled and not muffed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

My questions are:

Thanks.
So the NF answers would be:

(1) No, it wasn't correct. As has been stated, if R touches the ball first, beyond the LOS, then the team in possession at the end of the down will get a new series of downs.

(2) Only in that K would be able to advance the ball, had it been fumbled and not muffed.
Good job BktBallRef. (1) would be rule 6-2-4, K's recovery of the kick makes the ball dead, therefore, K cannot advance. (2)When R caught the ball, team possession changed and a subsequent fumble -- you must possess the ball to fumble -- K can pick the ball up and run.

You can advance a fumble, you cannot advance a muff.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question Where did the ball land

Mark,

You said the ball did not travel far because of the wind.
Did it land beyond the neutral zone? This makes all the difference in the world as far as NCAA rules go.

If the ball did not go beyond the neutral zone, and R muffed the ball (can't call it a kick since it did not cross the neutral zone), could pick it up and advance it. However, if K did not make the line to gain, the ball would go over on downs.

If R possessed the ball, ss you stated in your second senerio, then fumbled, K would have a new series.