The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Bowl Offcials

I was wondering if any of the bowl games will be or have been officiated by a major conference (Big 10, Big 12, SEC ACC etc.) All the games I have seen so far they have been from smaller conferences like the WAC and so on. Any advise will help!!
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what's happening this year, but I spoke with a Big 12 Referee (worked the national championship game a few years ago) who, after the '04 season, was offered the Motor City Bowl. He declined for a couple of different reasons, but depending on how many crews they need (and maybe based on how many conference's teams make the bowls), they will pluck them from various conferences.

I don't know if the NCAA seriously considers which conferences call what bowl games. I guess to some extent they do, since we don't see MAC or WAC officials working the BCS title games. But those leagues are seen by officials and supervisors as feeder leagues for officials to the Big 10, Big 12, PAC-10, etc.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Your prime conferences are going to work most of the prime bowl games. How Mr. Parry, makes his selections for final, I am not sure, but I know a lot of it has to do with conference ratings, previous bowl experience, and as the previous post stated, how many crew are needed.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

The National Championship Game betwix OSU/FLA will be officiated by a PAC-10 crew.

I have an interview soon to be published on the paid side of this site with Jack Folliard who will be the White Hat of that game. (Jack is also my boss for the Oregon State High School Baseball Umpire Committee).

Jack's PAC-10 crew worked the UCLA/USC game also.

The crew will be made up of Jack and one other member of his crew and the remainder picked as "all-stars" from other PAC-10 crews.

Regards,,
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

A Big Ten crew is working the Texas A&M/California game tonight. I am happy to see the Pac 10 working the National Championship game. I watched some of the UCLA/USC game and the crew did a great job with that game, so I would say that the national championship will be worked just as well also.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, well....

I thought it was getting a little late in December and I hadn't gotten the call yet. Then I saw the Rose Bowl crew and it was confirmed - I didn't get the game.

I guess I'll still watch it.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I hope either Steve Shaw (SEC) gets the nod for the Rose Bowl. Bar none one of the best white hats in the country is Steve.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
I was wondering if any of the bowl games will be or have been officiated by a major conference (Big 10, Big 12, SEC ACC etc.) All the games I have seen so far they have been from smaller conferences like the WAC and so on. Any advise will help!!
A Big 10 Crew was on the Fiesta Bowl last night.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I hope either Steve Shaw (SEC) gets the nod for the Rose Bowl. Bar none one of the best white hats in the country is Steve.
I'm in total agreement with you...I wouldn't be suprised if the NFL stole him from the SEC in the next few years.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Anybody notice last night that Steve Shaw's umpire was working the game? I think I also recognized his LJ, but not positive. I can't imagine Steve not getting to work a big bowl game but I don't see him being able to work tonight's Sugar with SEC LSU or the Championship with SEC Florida.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRef
I'm in total agreement with you...I wouldn't be suprised if the NFL stole him from the SEC in the next few years.
I believe the NFL has talked to Shaw and he turned them down...he's happy where he is.

Also, he worked the SEC Championship game. This is considered a bowl game for SEC officials so he will not be working a bowl game this year.