The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball signal at end of play

I am posting this on all the boards to get everyone’s opinions.

I am seeing more and more of it this year. At the end of the play, the covering official will give the dead ball signal. Although it is not a standard signal at the end of a play, I have seen this in each of the 3-4 bowl games I have seen so far. I saw at least one crew working the Iowa state championship games using it, the crew working the NCAA D2 Championship game, and many crews I've seen working college games using it.

I personally like it, especially for the U to do on a play in between the hashes when he has the ball in possession of a player who is down. He can do so without blowing his whistle, and let the wings know they can blow theirs without waiting til they see the ball in the pile, without worrying about having in IW. Short plays in the middle of the field, which are ran up the middle, can be really tough for wings to see with all the guys in and around the ball. The U often can see the ball down several seconds before the wings.

My question is, how many of you use it for NF?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:27am
Chain of Fools

Dead ball signal

I have not used it myself but in the past I have worked some split crews with older officials who do.

I'm sure there is a reason NOT to do it but not sure why it wouldn't work.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

In Tennessee, only the wing official who has the spot is to use the signal to indicate he has the spot. South Carolina doesn't use it (at least they didn't two years ago when I last worked there).
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

we go up with the next down count unless of course it's a first down, then we're just killing the clock.