The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Question

I just wanted to know what you guys do about the uniforms of players. (shirts out, Towels hanging from uniforms, etc.) I have seen alot on officials not paying any attention to it at all. I read in the Rule Book that the shirt is suppose to go to the top of the pants and if longer tucked in.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Let's address the towels first. Sorry, but there's nothing we can do to prevent a player from tucking a legal towel inside his belt or pants. A legal towel is at least 4x12 but no more than 18x36 and must be white with no markings. Two weeks ago, I did make several players remove towels that were too small.

Jerseys are a little more difficult. Honestly, it's not an area that we concern ourselves with as much. The nature of football is that the jersey will come out while players are playing. It's different than basketball in respect to the ease with which it can be tucked in. We require the players to have the jersey tucked in prior to the game. When I player goes out of the game, I'll tell him to tuck his jersey in. But it's simply not stressed in football as it is in basketball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Correct the towel problem prior to the start of the game. Color and size is about all you can rule on. Adjust your tolerance as the weather coditions change.

As far as the tucking in the uniform, just keep reminding them as they come in and off the field. If you're in the middle, do the same as most players really try to comply. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
This is a coaching/team conformance issue and "they" should deal with it. I'll bugg'em until they get sick and tired of hearing me say it. Same as they do with my get back from the sideline requests. Eventually, they start hearing or is that listening?

Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
I'll bugg'em until they get sick and tired of hearing me say it. Same as they do with my get back from the sideline requests. Eventually, they start hearing or is that listening?
*Chortle* I had sideline on a game where a team was playing their first game EVER, at home. Had to herd folks off the lines for most of the game. One one case, I had to wade through a wack of bodies to get to a spot (gone down on a four man crew to cover a reciever, and had a short pass develop) and they whined about the spot. Told 'em the next time someone got in my way, new team be damned, somethin' was going to go flying.

About 4 minutes later, an intercepted pass, and the play comes back up my sideline. Near the home team bench.... players and coaches scrambling out of the way to where they should be.

Play goes dead a second later.

"Man, ref, someone wrecked our coach!!!," says this kid. "He went ()&#(*&# flying.... you gotta do something about that!!!!!"

(Pan to image of coach plucking grass off his shirt and looking kinda sheepish.)

"Is _that_ who was in my way when they shouldn't be," I says. "Next time, I throw a flag as well." Smile the Big Evil Grin.

Never had a problem for the rest of the game.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Question Towels, shirts, and the game

Towels and shirts are an ornament to the game. During your pregame routine, if you notice irregularities in these, point them out to the potential offending player and have it taken care of. Once the game begins, let the conditions, tempo, and play of the game determine the action you will take.

Lately, Friday nights by me have been damp, moisture on the ground (dew or rain), and the ball/hands are getting moist. I find no harm if the QB, center, or even one of the guards has a legal towel hanging from their belt. One, two, or all three - fine by me. Must be white and within dimensions.

As for the jersey, they come out. Remind them every once in awhile, positively and in a firm yet friendly manner. But, if they don't do it, what's the harm? Let the players decide the game with this one.

zeb