The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:37pm
Broadcaster

OK, what are . . .

. . . your three least favorite "National Federation of High Schools" rules? (shamelessly stolen from the baseball forum)

If you'd like, list the rule and why you do not like it.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sideline Rule - Before this rule I was able to manage the sideline just fine. Now I have to spend way too much time making sure that the coaches comply with the rule, which takes my attention away from the field. As long as they keep out of my way, I don't really care how many coaches are in the box.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Sideline Rule - Before this rule I was able to manage the sideline just fine. Now I have to spend way too much time making sure that the coaches comply with the rule, which takes my attention away from the field. As long as they keep out of my way, I don't really care how many coaches are in the box.
Just wait until you have a collision with who is out of the way. A turnover going the other way and now these coaches are in the way but don't realize it and neither do you until you run into them. Had they been back before the play began you wouldn't have to worry about them. A coach in Texas is now disabled due to that and a lawsuit is currently in the courts because of that collision.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
Just wait until you have a collision with who is out of the way. A turnover going the other way and now these coaches are in the way but don't realize it and neither do you until you run into them. Had they been back before the play began you wouldn't have to worry about them. A coach in Texas is now disabled due to that and a lawsuit is currently in the courts because of that collision.
As I said, I never had a problem before this rule was added. I kept the coaches back and had no problems. Coaches never were allowed on the field before this rule so I don't see a saftey advantage.

I don't know the specifics of the case in Texas but if he was on the playing field when he was hit, this rule didn't help him. If he was in the coaches box when he was hit, this rule didn't help him either so I don't see how that point is valid.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
As I said, I never had a problem before this rule was added. I kept the coaches back and had no problems. Coaches never were allowed on the field before this rule so I don't see a saftey advantage.

I don't know the specifics of the case in Texas but if he was on the playing field when he was hit, this rule didn't help him. If he was in the coaches box when he was hit, this rule didn't help him either so I don't see how that point is valid.
The coaches box in Texas is 6 ft from the sideline. The area in front of the coaches box is restricted area and that is where the coach was. If we are not enforcing the rule then we are liable. I do understand though that the NF rules may be different in regards to a coaching box in comparison to NCAA rules. I was just posting that we must keep the coaches back and enforce whatever the rule for whatever level we work due to safety to not only us, but to players and coaches as well.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we are not enforcing the rule then we are liable.
Jason, we aren't liable in a legal sense if someone gets injured, unless we are (probably grossly) negligent. You almost have to tell a coach something like, "stand here, and you won't get hurt; I promise" to be held negligent. The problem with someone asserting you didn't enforce a rule is, how do you define "enforce?" Is telling them once to get back enough? Do you have to physically push them back, and if so, every time they come out? Do you have to throw sideline warning, then infraction, flags on EVERY play they don't stay back on? Are they OK coming out on plays that don't end on their sideline?

There's a thousand questions to answer just like that. The bottom line is take care of business. If you need to warn, warn. If you need to flag, for either a warning or later for a foul, do so. But if a coach thinks they can sue an official for not enforcing a rule that coach broke, then they're crazy. That suit won't go anywhere in Texas.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

1. No uncatchable pass rule - Please put this in once and for all. We can handle more judgement calls. Its ok. We're pretty good at what we do.

2. NFHS Touchback rules. Let's change this to match the NCAA rule. Long kick returns are exciting and can swing momentum of a game. Let em run it back.

3. Timing rules. Let's start the clock on change of posessions (when its logical to start the clock, not like NCAA) except in the last say 4 minutes of a half.

Just my 2 cents...i'm sure there are others.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

1. Offensive Pass Interference: change to either 5 yards and loss of down from the previous spot or 15 yards and repeat down from previous spot

2. Defensive Encroachment: Allow the defense to get back onsides. (if they jump they can get back)

3. Person Foul or Unsportsmanlike Foul on team being scored on: The scoring team should be allowed to take the enforcement of the yardage either on the PAT (as it is now) or on the following kickoff/free kick.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Jason, we aren't liable in a legal sense if someone gets injured, unless we are (probably grossly) negligent. You almost have to tell a coach something like, "stand here, and you won't get hurt; I promise" to be held negligent. The problem with someone asserting you didn't enforce a rule is, how do you define "enforce?" Is telling them once to get back enough? Do you have to physically push them back, and if so, every time they come out? Do you have to throw sideline warning, then infraction, flags on EVERY play they don't stay back on? Are they OK coming out on plays that don't end on their sideline?

There's a thousand questions to answer just like that. The bottom line is take care of business. If you need to warn, warn. If you need to flag, for either a warning or later for a foul, do so. But if a coach thinks they can sue an official for not enforcing a rule that coach broke, then they're crazy. That suit won't go anywhere in Texas.
I agree. Perhaps using the word liable wasn't what I intended. What I meant was I have seen officials do nothing with the sideline. They don't tell the coach anything. No warning, no nothing. Then when they turn up the field and run right into the coach in the 4th Qtr the flag comes flying. Heck the coach has been there all night. Like you said, a warning or a flag for an official warning but don't wait till the 4th Qtr to decide to clean it up. Get it cleaned up in the 1st Qtr.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with some of what was said.oo

OPI should only be 5 yards and loss of down. As written now, this penality is a drive killer.

Allow for catchability to be a consideration in DPI. We are expected to only call fouls that effect the play, but catchability of a ball isn't a consideration in calling DPI.

Make breaking the huddle with more than 11 a penality. All coaches (and a lot of officials) already think this is a rule...just change it to end the debate over the issue.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why should the penalty for OPI be less severe for A, than DPI is for B?

15 yards & Loss of Down or 15 yards & Auto 1st Down is more fair than in NCAA or NFL. Do you also think DPI should be 5 yards and a 1st down?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see pass interference against the defense penalized as follows:

If penalty is less than 15 yards downfield enforcement at the spot of the foul automatic 1st down for the offense.

If the penalty is more than 15 yards down field then 15 yards from the previous spot and automatic 1st down for the offense.

If the penalty happens inside of the 15 yard line or in the endzone of the defensive team spot foul (in endzone 2 yard line) and automatic first down.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

OK, here's mine.

1) A runner who has crossed the NZ and returns to throw a forward pass.

2) Catchability of a pass not being a factor in DPI/OPI

3) A scrimmage kick that touches the ground (or player) beyond the NZ and returns behind the NZ and is remains in play if recovered by team-A

and one more for good luck

4) An illegal kick made from beyond the NZ (or the unlikely "return kick") remains a live ball.

What are who gonna do with these?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

1) Have the field marked so that there is the two yard NO MANS LAND in front of the coaches box. We finally got the chain crew back, so let's keep the coaches back behind them. If the stadium is too narrow, then so be it. But, make it mandatory on fields that are wide enough to accomodate it. It works for NCAA, so why not for FED?

2) Uncatchable pass.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

I'm not a lawyer so I'm speculating on what I've heard in other cases. If there is evidence that a coach is on the field often during the game and you do nothing about it and later that coach is injured while being in that position, you could be found negligent for not enforcing the rules. It's not different than being aware of a player using illegal equipment (coach's liability) or the band being too close to the field and getting hit. It's a scary part of our job that most people don't know enough about.