The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 29, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

As a new Official I have taken the advice of our Chapter President { ...if you THINK you see an infraction you DIDN'T see an infraction .You must KNOW what you saw.}However , I have a question . If I am not sure of a rule during a play , should I throw the flag and discuss with the Referee/Crew ? I can alway pick up the flag
Old Sat Sep 29, 2001, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think the chapter President has already answered your question for you.

Welcome to the board!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Advice to new official

Joe, I am in my 5th year of officiating. Each year I get more comfortable with my duties, and with rules and mechanics. I worked a full varisty season in my 3rd year, including a 1st round playoff game. When I worked during the first season I felt probably as you feel, unsure of yourself. This is natural so don't think you're alone in this regard.

Study the rules and mechanics, and also listen to the officials you work with. Try to have at least a brief pre-game before every game. If you are not sure of what you saw, then I suggest you keep the flag in your pocket. If what you was was a foul, but you are not sure what foul it was, then drop the flag and consult your white hat. If you tell him what you saw, he'll let you know what foul you have, and what the penalty should be. He may also wave off the flag if you were wrong. Don't feel bad about that if it happens, it's part of learning, and it's happened to everyone. Error on the side of no flag unless you're absolutely sure about the foul.

You should also talk about the plays you saw after the game when they are fresh in your mind. If there is not time, write them down, and talk to another official before your next game or meeting, or post them here. I have yet to meet an official who knows it all and seen it all. Any official will have plays they are not sure of, or plays they second guess themselves on. They will not look down on you, but will help you if you let them.