Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
As luck would have it, this game was just on Fox College Sports Central.

This is the trouble with having NFL guys as NCAA Supervisors. The NFL stopped being sport a long time ago. Maybe this isn't a hold in the NFL but gosh darn it...it was a big time hold. If I were the flag thrower, I'd be pissed.

The only reason the QB gets in the EZ is because the OL puts his right arm around the defensive player's neck and his left arm around his waist and drags him, creating a hole. Classic advantage/disadvantage. And right at the POA.
Yep. You see that type of "block" all the time on Sunday's. Especially on the pass rush as the defender starts to get by the blocker. I mean every single game you see an arm wrapped around the defenders throat at least once and no flag as the pass just gets off. But like you said, that's the NFL and the officials are required to see things a little different than us lowly HS and NCAA officials see things.

PS--how's that scheduling software looking now? or
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap
roughing the passer.

I think he made an honest mistake. I think he thought the QB got hit in the head, but he was hit in the shoulder.

And as all bad calls, it wasn't the reason one team won or lost. But that call at that time, was a determing factor in the outcome of the game.
I disagree. On that same drive GB couldn't stop Alexander on a big 3rd down play and also on a big 4th down play. Both occasion Seattle got a first down and the drive continued. On that roughing play that was the proper call according to the rules. When in doubt it is roughing. The NFL wants that call to be made if there is any doubt at all in the Refs mind. It may turn out, as it did in this play that it wasn't a shot to the head, but the NFL will stand by you if you make this call due to having doubt. Consider what would happen if that player whacked him hard and the ref didn't flag it because he thought it was a miss. Now you can why these "misses" get flagged.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Yep. You see that type of "block" all the time on Sunday's. Especially on the pass rush as the defender starts to get by the blocker. I mean every single game you see an arm wrapped around the defenders throat at least once and no flag as the pass just gets off. But like you said, that's the NFL and the officials are required to see things a little different than us lowly HS and NCAA officials see things.

PS--how's that scheduling software looking now? or
I don't start until 1/1/07.

I've got one more assignment on Monday night then I'm done.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 05:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Witness the Kiwanuka play in the Giants/Titans game last weekend. Before anyone jumps on me as a homer let me state that I am not a Giants fan. Watching this play it's clear that Kiwanuka thought that Young had passed the ball and he didn't want to get hit with a roughing call. I heard that he was called for roughing on a similar play a few weeks ago.
The exact same thing happened the week on a critical 3rd & 20 play during Pittsburgh's comeback vs. Cleveland. Lineman hit Big Ben, thought the ball was released and let up, Ben scrambled and found a receiver for a 1st down.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
I don't start until 1/1/07.

I've got one more assignment on Monday night then I'm done.

Just remember to ignore the screw-ups by the guy on the home-side line, k?