The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Whats the call?? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/29536-whats-call.html)

sm_bbcoach Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:29am

Whats the call??

A ball 2/9 from B42. A-11 drops back and throws a legal fwd pass to A-88. He catches the ball at the B12 As he continues to run, he drops the ball at the B7, ball rolls forward. A-88 jumps at the ball and lands in this order:
knees contact the sideline; A-88 recovers the ball at the B2 (inbounds).

penalty?;ball; down/dist?

The Roamin' Umpire Sat Nov 18, 2006 01:15pm

No foul - A-88 never returns inbounds. Fumble is OOB at the spot where he touched it. 1/10 for A at the B2.

sm_bbcoach Sat Nov 18, 2006 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
No foul - A-88 never returns inbounds. Fumble is OOB at the spot where he touched it. 1/10 for A at the B2.

Isn't this a IP foul for a player who is out of bounds touching a live ball inbounds? I can not site the rule, but something in my brain thinks there is something like that. If not, then could A throw a pass towards the sideline and have a player OOB swat the ball back towards a player?

DoubleD Sat Nov 18, 2006 04:25pm

Perhaps it would serve you well to cite the rules...just to know them that much better.
Where does it say that a "player" cannot touch a live ball?
What's the definition of "player" (as opposed to sub, replaced player, non-player)?
When can A legally bat a pass in flight (what kind of pass; what direction the batting)?
Define OOB for a player, and what it means to touch any live ball.

Answer those 4 questions and you will have educated yourself on fine points of the rules.

In short, no, A cannot have an eligible player batting a live ball if he's OOB. That touching causes the ball to become dead. What's the point of that?

The Roamin' Umpire Sun Nov 19, 2006 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_bbcoach
Isn't this a IP foul for a player who is out of bounds touching a live ball inbounds? I can not site the rule, but something in my brain thinks there is something like that. If not, then could A throw a pass towards the sideline and have a player OOB swat the ball back towards a player?

Your second question comes back to a thread that got a lot of discussion a while back, but I can't find it. There are three possibilities. If the player is standing on the ground OOB when he swats it, then it's simply incomplete. If the player leaps from in bounds and is over OOB territory when he swats it, it's a legal bat - play on.

The argument came on the play where the receiver steps OOB, leaps into the air, and bats the ball to an in-bounds teammate. Consensus was that this should be an illegal participation foul. Other thoughts were to just rule this incomplete (IMO, more a call of convenience than anything else), or to say no foul on the play (which I argued for on the grounds that the term "in bounds" is nowhere defined, and I didn't think the receiver had returned in bounds).

MJT Sun Nov 19, 2006 09:49pm

Roamin' Umpire, I think that was on the NF board. It was a very interesting discussion.

The Roamin' Umpire Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:37am

Ah, that's it. I couldn't remember, and haven't had time to read other boards of late. (New babies will do that, after all.)

MJT Mon Nov 20, 2006 03:53pm

Put a little Gin in that last night time bottle. Keep them sleeping all night. :rolleyes: Please note the sarcastic "smiles!"

sm_bbcoach Wed Nov 22, 2006 08:36am

Quote:

Your second question comes back to a thread that got a lot of discussion a while back, but I can't find it. There are three possibilities. If the player is standing on the ground OOB when he swats it, then it's simply incomplete. If the player leaps from in bounds and is over OOB territory when he swats it, it's a legal bat - play on.

The argument came on the play where the receiver steps OOB, leaps into the air, and bats the ball to an in-bounds teammate. Consensus was that this should be an illegal participation foul. Other thoughts were to just rule this incomplete (IMO, more a call of convenience than anything else), or to say no foul on the play (which I argued for on the grounds that the term "in bounds" is nowhere defined, and I didn't think the receiver had returned in bounds).

So, goven the original play, what do you have? IP or A ball at the 2? You still do not have a defination for "in-bounds" and the player is out of bounds while touching a live ball.

The Roamin' Umpire Wed Nov 22, 2006 09:46am

Sorry, I thought I'd answered that. No foul - the receiver never returned inbounds. It's simply an incomplete pass since the ball is OOB as soon as it touches him.

ChickenOfNC Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37am

Quote:

Sorry, I thought I'd answered that. No foul - the receiver never returned inbounds. It's simply an incomplete pass since the ball is OOB as soon as it touches him.

Roaming, in the original play, the player caught the pass, then fumbled, so it wouldn't be incomplete, just to clarfiy.

I agree, no foul. Ball dead at the spot the OOB player touched the ball.

Forksref Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:58pm

1st and goal at the 2.

The Roamin' Umpire Thu Nov 23, 2006 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Roaming, in the original play, the player caught the pass, then fumbled, so it wouldn't be incomplete, just to clarfiy.

I agree, no foul. Ball dead at the spot the OOB player touched the ball.

Ah, right you are. All I can say in my defense is that I got it right in my first reply. (Well, that, and the two-week-old was up pretty much all night.)

eprov Fri Nov 24, 2006 08:47am

Lets see. We have a catch A-88 at B-12 advanced to B-7 he fumbles the ball forward then tocuhed by A-88 who is out of bounds, ball is dead (4-2-3). The ball is returned to the spot of the fumble (7-2-4). A's ball at B-7 wind the clock. A 1-10 at B-7. (NCAA)