The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Field Goal (https://forum.officiating.com/football/29386-field-goal.html)

Stripe Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:01am

Field Goal

On a field-goal attempt, holder K2 muffs the snap and is attempting to gain
possession of the ball on the ground when K1 kicks it between the uprights over the crossbar.

Can somebody tell me what Rule 2 says on kicks and why this would not be a score?

BktBallRef Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:41am

2-23-9
An illegal kick is any intentional striking of the ball with the knee, lower leg or foot which does not comply with Articles 3 and 4. When the ball is loose following an illegal kick, it is treated as a fumble.

2-23-4
A scrimmage kick is any legal kick from in or behind the neutral zone. Either a place kick, punt, or drop kick may be used. For a place kick, the ball must be controlled on the ground or on a legal kicking tee by a teammate.

Stripe Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:46am

Thanks. I don't have my rule book with me.

Warrenkicker Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:56am

And to clarify what options you would provide. If R was to accept the penalty for the illegal kick then K gets to repeat the try. If R declines the penalty then the try failed as K can't score with the illegal kick.

Jim D Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:01pm

Excellent point, Warrenkicker! Even though this "kick" sailed through the uprights and the BJ and LJ signalled it was good, K cannot get any points for it.

MJT Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:09pm

Stripe, did you get that from the play of the day?

dumbref Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
And to clarify what options you would provide. If R was to accept the penalty for the illegal kick then K gets to repeat the try. If R declines the penalty then the try failed as K can't score with the illegal kick.

I agree in this case there is no points scored because the ball went out of the field of play. But since it is treated as a fumble and if the ball remained in the field of play - couldn't K gain possession and advance to the end zone for a TD or two point conversion on a try? And hold the whistle – because it is a live ball!

Theisey Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:17pm

Also documented in the Redding Guide, chapter-6, example play 33.

MD Longhorn Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbref
I agree in this case there is no points scored because the ball went out of the field of play. But since it is treated as a fumble and if the ball remained in the field of play - couldn't K gain possession and advance to the end zone for a TD or two point conversion on a try? And hold the whistle – because it is a live ball!

Not sure how a ball that has sailed through the uprights could be considered "in the field of play". :)

REQ Fri Nov 10, 2006 01:03pm

MJT,
There used to be a play of the day email, Do you know where to sign up for that

MJT Fri Nov 10, 2006 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REQ
MJT,
There used to be a play of the day email, Do you know where to sign up for that

I will have my wife forward it to me from home, then I'll post the site to "sign up" here in a little bit.

dumbref Fri Nov 10, 2006 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Not sure how a ball that has sailed through the uprights could be considered "in the field of play". :)

This has actually occurred on tries in two different games this year. The difference was the kicked loose ball hit a lineman in the butt and wound up behind the LOS. And I can tell you from personal experience, your first instinct is to blow it dead because it is a try. I was fortunate on the first because K fell on the ball just before I blew the whistle. The second, K actually picked up the ball and started running but was tackled before reaching the goal. My first experience made me hold the whistle on the second.

MJT Fri Nov 10, 2006 01:44pm

Here is the play of the day site.

Pass the play of the day along to your fellow officials. For signup instructions goto: http://www.nafoa.net/PlayOfTheDay1.htm

Stripe Fri Nov 10, 2006 02:21pm

Yes I did MJT