The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Best Raingear (https://forum.officiating.com/football/29154-best-raingear.html)

jnade86 Fri Oct 27, 2006 07:26pm

Best Raingear

Whos git the best rain gear out there? What do you guys use to keep dry?

cos_man99 Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:12am

Eastbay

Eastbay has a rain slicker thing that goes under your stripes. I don't like the look of jackets. I also think it is harder to officiate with a jacket on. I'm sure you can get the rain slicker from other sources. Mine is plastic on the outside(typical raincoat material except more flexible) and a cloth-like liner. It is really hot to wear because there is no way for your skin to breathe but in Michigan where I work the rain is usually accompanied by freezing cold so for me this works.

bisonlj Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:28pm

I had always been told that we don't wear the jackets (stripe side out) for varsity games. You can wear black side out during pre-game but take them off at kick-off or wear stripe side out for sub-varsity games. I've seen several crews on highlights this week wearing jackets during the game.

Is there a general consensus on this? The NFL will have cold weather gear later in the year that I believe will be similar to jackets.

jnade86 Sat Oct 28, 2006 03:47pm

Rain Gear

Thanks
I would never wear a jacket in a varsity game. I think the NFL guys are already wearing some of the weather gear in games. It looks like a normal shirt, but you can see that it has a "raincoat" effect to it. It is still tucked in and you can barely tell it is a slicker material.

cos_man99 Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:47pm

What do you folks do about crewmates who want to wear jackets for Varsity games? Do you wear yours then to match or do you consider your long sleeves a close enough match. I don't wear a jacket for varsity games but I have worked with guys who do. I think it looks bad.

bisonlj Sun Oct 29, 2006 04:06pm

We all wear the same thing no matter what. BTW...it's either long sleeve or short sleeve. Jacket is not an option.

ML99 Sun Oct 29, 2006 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj
We all wear the same thing no matter what. BTW...it's either long sleeve or short sleeve. Jacket is not an option.

the same in our association

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2382/refoj4.png

cos_man99 Sun Oct 29, 2006 04:46pm

We used to have a white hat who felt the same (as do you and I) no jackets for varsity games but the replacement WH is less strick about it.

Snake~eyes Sun Oct 29, 2006 07:55pm

Jackets are stupid, wear them before the game and during halftime if necessary but once the game starts LS shirts only.

I have this one: http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=92&Item=304

It's good for the cold, also great when it gets wet. I' like to try out the shortsleeve version but I'm worried the sleeves are too long.

HLin NC Sun Oct 29, 2006 08:04pm

Our league only allows jackets for pre-game

wear. I've got a couple of black batting cage jackets I wear underneath my shirt. One is a lightweight nylon, the other WAS a longlseeve Mizuno rubberized jacket. I was out running one stormy day and bumped into a mailbox handle and tore the left sleeve. Its good or cold weather.

I've always said I'd like to come up with a nice Goretex officials uniform but since many a foul weather game would likely end up a mudbath, the uniform would pretty much be ruined.

REQ Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I have this one: http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=92&Item=304

It's good for the cold, also great when it gets wet. I' like to try out the shortsleeve version but I'm worried the sleeves are too long.

I have the short sleeves version and it also works great. when the weather gets real bad the weather beater from cliff keen is good as well

CruiseMan Mon Oct 30, 2006 01:49am

Its all about the feet folks. Its all about the feet. Sure, get the best shirts and knickers you can to keep you dry, but its all about keeping your feet warm and dry.

Here's what I do. It sounds uncomfortable, but really you get used to it and it works. Note that in cold or rainy weather I wear long johns or long compression tights under the knickers. This solution may require full leggings of some sort under the knickers.

First put on regular socks. Crew length, whatever is comfortable for you. Then take two Glad Mid-size garbage bags and slip your feet into those. Get your feet in the bags so the feel comfortable. Try to avoid having your toes in any of the "points" of the bag. It may take a few tries to feel comfortable.

Then, you don't have to wrap, or tie or tape the bag to your leg. Just start putting your long ref socks on and the bag will slowly disappear. Your cuffed kinckers over the socks will cover anything sticking out, but you'll figure out how to avoid even that.

Really, this keeps your feet absolutely dry and comfortable which to me is the most important thing on a cold, rainy field.

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 30, 2006 02:03am

The guys in my local association like Honig's gear. One guy 'swears by' his striped cold weather / windbreaker.

Rich Mon Oct 30, 2006 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cos_man99
We used to have a white hat who felt the same (as do you and I) no jackets for varsity games but the replacement WH is less strick about it.

I'm a crew chief and I won't allow it. A few guys who used to be on the crew had a problem with it, but managed to go along. My current crew all agrees that coats look terrible.

l3will Mon Oct 30, 2006 09:52am

Jackets...

Don't say never for jackets. I would agree in most situations that we shouldn't be wearing jackets. But I was sure glad I did for an end of season game up here in Minnesota.

This was a community college game between two middle of the pack teams in
early November, temp was very close to 32 degrees, sleet coming down sideways because of a 25 mile an hour wind from the non-pressbox side of the field. We wore everything we had.

Score was 12-6 at halftime and both coaches wanted a running clock for the second half... they wanted it over. Ended up 12-6... neither QB could pass the ball effectively. Lots of beanbags because of fumbles.

I have worked in snowstorms without jackets... that game was worse and the crew was glad we had that extra layer.