The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me last night and i was unsure about a call made by the refs and I was wondering if you could clear a few thing up for me. This is 9th grade football in Missouri.

I will tell the story in first person. My team punted the ball, and the ball bounced off the returner and into the endzone and my team recovered it. Explain to me why that is not a touchdown.

Thank you
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel_5
This happened to me last night and i was unsure about a call made by the refs and I was wondering if you could clear a few thing up for me. This is 9th grade football in Missouri.

I will tell the story in first person. My team punted the ball, and the ball bounced off the returner and into the endzone and my team recovered it. Explain to me why that is not a touchdown.

Thank you
Because, presuming you are playing Federation rules, ANY non-scoring kick (a punt cannot score any points) is automatically dead and is a touchback by rule when it crosses R's goal line (8-5-3a). Force is not a factor on kicks entering R's end zone.

So in your play, your team could not recover the kick for a touchdown. The ball became dead when it entered R's end zone.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Okay guys, this explanation is for a player, not for officials

Quote:
When any kick that doesn't score goes into the endzone, it is a touchback. It doesn't matter if the receiver has touched the ball or not. Once the ball goes into the EZ, the receiver cannot return it and neither team can recover it. It's already dead.

That's why it wasn't a touchdown.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you I hadn't heard of that rule before.

We won 13-6 if anyone cares.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that the call was right but something is missing. Was the ball grounded? If the ball was grounded then a muff may become the new force. A muff is never a force to a ball in flight. Glad you won.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

You're confusing your end zones.

Quote:
Originally posted by hlbrett
I believe that the call was right but something is missing. Was the ball grounded? If the ball was grounded then a muff may become the new force. A muff is never a force to a ball in flight. Glad you won.
It doesn't matter. A kick that enters R's end zone is always a touchback, whether it's grounded, muffed, or still in flight.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Sep 13th, 2001 at 08:49 PM]

Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Re: Okay guys, this explanation is for a player, not for officials

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
When any kick that doesn't score goes into the endzone, it is a touchback. It doesn't matter if the receiver has touched the ball or not. Once the ball goes into the EZ, the receiver cannot return it and neither team can recover it. It's already dead.

That's why it wasn't a touchdown.
Thanks, bktballref for steering the group to a simpler explanation!

zeb
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Not so. A muff may apply new force to a kick, backward pass, or fumble once it has been grounded. Any muff on a kick in flight should not be considered a new force.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hlbrett
Not so. A muff may apply new force to a kick, backward pass, or fumble once it has been grounded. Any muff on a kick in flight should not be considered a new force.
You're confused but perhaps because I confused you. This kick is going into R's endzone, not K's. Therefore, it is always a touchback.