The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Next step in my progression as an official.

I'm looking for what to do next to get better as an official. I know there's a million things so I'll tell you what I currently do and my feelings on it then maybe y'all can come up with some ideas.

1) I take as many games a possible. JV, Freshman, pee-wee, varsity, it doesn't matter. If it's football and they need someone I take it. I love being on the field.

2) I ask millions of questions to all the older officials. I don't like this anymore cause if I ask the same question to 4 different officials I'm likely to get 5 different answers.

3) I read the rulebook, casebook or manual at least a couple times a week. Some portion of the book. This is helpful but I feel I sometimes I over-think while I'm out on the field. Not saying it's causing me to be indecisive but sometimes I feel that way. That case book will sometimes make your head want to explode not only with what's in there but sometimes with what is not in there.

Anyhow what else should I do? The one thing I really don't like about officiating right now is the lack of practice and instruction. I mean we take a little written test and buy some stripes and it's ok...your an official. I don't get any film to study and I've never had anyone from our association go over mechanics with me on a field in a practice type situation. I know that's difficult to organize probably since we all got jobs and lives and stuff. But when I played I found that gameday was a bad time to work on anything and I'm think officiating is about the same. How do y'all get better?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Find a guy or two who have the reputaion of being good officials and go to them for one-on-one help. For example, talk to a good wing official and ask for help and tips on how to work the wings, handle coaches, handle referees etc. You can offer to meet him over lunch or dinner and have him go over things with you. Do the same with an umpire and a referee. If you can get one to attend one of your weekday games and watch you, so much the better. Then listen to what they say and try to use it.

Most guys will be flattered that you asked.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I'm luck to be in an association that is very well organized and spends a lot of time on developing new officials. It takes 4-5 years here to get a Varsity game. When I started it seemed crazy but I will tell you I was well prepared. I had a mentor my first 4 years that was very helpful. We have classroom instruction weekly starting in the beninning if Aug until we take the Fed Exam then bi-weekly once the season starts. This is for ALL official no matter how many years you have been officiating.

Go watch experienced officials officiate and ask question.
Have a good official watch you when they can.
Take as many games as you can. (pee-wee is a great learning ground)
Use the ARS CD ROM in conjunction with reading the books
Get some of your buddies together and talk football
Read this forum, though you will see many different opinions I learn stuff from these guys all the time and it gets you thinking.

Just a few things that I do or have done.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Get to an officials camp next summer. You get on-field mentoring.

Also, try to hook up with an experienced official and ask if you can go along with them to varsity games and watch and listen to pre-game, half-time, post-game, etc.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

BF, you have 0 contact information, where are you from? Maybe we can help you connect with a camp or association near you. Good luck
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Obtain films!

I attended a clinic this year attended by some "all star" officials. There were officials from NFL, Big East, etc. including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. Art was the (I believe) very first supervisor of officials for the NFL. He spoke to us for one hour about the importance of film study and how it helps the NFL officials get better. And, they're the best on the planet!

You DO have film available to you. At least you should. If you work varsity contests (which you say you do), then get your hands on the film. If you get assigned local TV games just use your VCR. But for those other varsity games that don't get that much attention they're still being filmed by the schools. I have called AD's after my games and asked that if I sent in a blank VHS tape and paid for the postage could they get their A/V departments to duplicate the tape for me. No one has ever told me no. There was one isolated case where I sent the tape and they never sent it back. But, the point is if you make the effort to get film you will obtain it. Once you have film then a senior member to critique it for you. Believe me they will take the request as a compliment of their judgement and would gladly give advice. My president just watched a game I worked and gave me an excellent critique. Believe me, there's no better way to learn than from seeing yourself on film. Just make the effort and get it in your hands.

Good Luck.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Hey Joe,

Did you get any films from that clinic? Mr Camp promised me some and I've seen him a few times since the Liberty Bell but so far, zilch!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Big,

Where are you located? Most guys here are very helpful. There are some films available too. Find someone you're comfortable with and ask questions. Most people will be happy to share what they know.

And as Joe said, there are clinics available. If you're lucky you'll get to meet some of the folks that frequent this place.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

When you watch NCAA or NFL games and see a penalty. Think like you are the referee and say what the penalty is, the distance, and the enforcement spot if it was a HS game. This will keep you busy thru January. Good stuff from the guys above also.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Try and get some on-field coaching. You can look at rule books and case books until you're blue in the face, but until you see it happen in real life, you don't have the best understanding of a rule.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll make sure to contact the AD about film. I do work some Varsity but never the games big enough for TV. Usually the smaller schools right now which is fine with me.
I live in New England so if anyone knows a good clinic in that area I'd be very grateful if you pointed me in that direction...though I guess google would tell me too Anyhow, thanks for all the replies.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Great Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Hey Joe,

Did you get any films from that clinic? Mr Camp promised me some and I've seen him a few times since the Liberty Bell but so far, zilch!
I haven't seen anything. I also recall them telling us they would be sending a DVD of the breakouts. I know someone was filming but like I said I haven't heard anything. My mentor has reached out to me and we're supposed to have a "film session" sometime this season as a small group but that's it.

BTW - good luck in getting a playoff assignment. Let me know if they send you to our district for the semi's or final round.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
BTW - good luck in getting a playoff assignment. Let me know if they send you to our district for the semi's or final round.
Of course we're always hopeful but we've made a couple of changes on the crew for this season. Our collective inexperience may work against us. Let me know where you end up.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Attend Pre-Games, and then have fun with the crew

This year I think I attended around 7 or 8 college pre-games and then went drinking with the crew and supervisor after the game.

you'll learn more at the bar than you will watching the game
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
Attend Pre-Games, and then have fun with the crew

This year I think I attended around 7 or 8 college pre-games and then went drinking with the crew and supervisor after the game.

you'll learn more at the bar than you will watching the game

And tell your wife that you are "de-briefing" after the game.