The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973
Come on guys let's be real. Before we were ever officials we all thought of the same things. When I was in HS I can't count the number of times I thought we got screwed by the officials. This guy is no different.
We keep on wanting him to try officiating to see what we do, but we don't want to put ourselves in his place. Yeah he went a little overboard and probably exaggerated alot, but 90% of us complian about authority anyway.

This is true. EVERYONE complains about officials at one point in their lives. However, once i became a baseball umpire, i realize how hard the job is for any sport, and i likewise look down upon the people who used to criticize like i used to.

Hypocritical as it may sound, it's one of those "walk a mile in his shoes" type deal- for everybody.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213
I've never heard them ask like it's Oliver asking for more food. I have had them ask "watch 73...he's holding me" (however it is sounds very desperate).
Actually I have got polite requests like that fairly often - not as many as ignorant idiots, but I have really had captains say things like
"Excuse me sir, but some of my guys are getting upset because #74 has a tendency to told", or "Would it be possible to keep a close eye on #55 for hands to the face - I'm having a little trouble seeing the ball carrier". Really actually politely asked.
No I was not dreaming about it. Doesn't happen that often, but occationally.

James
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973
Come on guys let's be real. Before we were ever officials we all thought of the same things. When I was in HS I can't count the number of times I thought we got screwed by the officials. This guy is no different.
We keep on wanting him to try officiating to see what we do, but we don't want to put ourselves in his place. Yeah he went a little overboard and probably exaggerated alot, but 90% of us complian about authority anyway.

Of course everybody complains about officials. However, this guy is supposed to be a journalist. He has rules and ethical considerations that he did not follow in this case. Journalists aren't suppossed to act like fans.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Of course everybody complains about officials. However, this guy is supposed to be a journalist. He has rules and ethical considerations that he did not follow in this case. Journalists aren't suppossed to act like fans.
Maybe that's why he's only covering HS football.