The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Dangerous equipment

Hi,

There was a discusion a while back about the rubber bracelets that a lot of people are wearing and that they should be taken off (Lance Armstrong was promoting them for cancer awareness).
The general concensus was that someone could get their finger stuck in one and (easily) broken, and there was some reasoning as to how to bring across that it is not allowed.
This year I havn't had much problem with that, but with 'sweat bands' worn on the bicept to make them look bigger. As far as I can tell there is no legitimate reason to wear them - just above the elbow might be against injury (like tennis elbow) - but in the middle of the bicept it seems to be just for looks.
If that is the case, can I not (should I not) get them removed on the same logic as these rubber bracelets? Maybe a finger won't get broken. but dislocated could easily happen.

Does anyone know if there would be a ligitamte reason to wear a sweat band like that?

Can someone help me with the rule reference for getting the bracelets removed (I always just explained the danger and said they had to be removed, but I would like to be able to have correct wording for future reference).

Thanks a lot

James
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

1-5-3. Illegal equipment.

Note 3.k addresses uniform adornments. Only an unmarked white towel is allowed.

Note 3.m addresses jewelry. Only religious and medical alert are allowed.

This is all you need to know.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

1-5-3-k also says that wristbands, if worn, must be worn at the wrist and not higher up than 3 inches above the wrist.