The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Umpire causes fumble, turnover (https://forum.officiating.com/football/29022-umpire-causes-fumble-turnover.html)

JugglingReferee Sun Oct 22, 2006 02:39pm

Umpire causes fumble, turnover

Just happened... Umpire Jim Quirk, #5, moved directly into the path of Bills' QB JP Losman and initiated contact that caused Losman to fumble the ball. Patriots recover.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 22, 2006 04:47pm

Everybody has to be somewhere.

In my third year at umpire, I had not gone down, not even once until two weeks ago in a JV game. As I turned to go downfield on a punt, someone fell into the back of my legs. I roleed and popped back up.

Then on Friday night, I had a run turn in my direction. I had the play pushed away from me but as I was backing out, someone stepped on my foot. I had nowhere to go but backward and down, with a bit if a head stand.

I'll have to email the AD, who's a friend of mine, and tell him that clip had better not show up on AFHV!! :)

JugglingReferee Sun Oct 22, 2006 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

In my third year at umpire, I had not gone done, not even once until two weeks ago in a JV game. As I turned to go downfield on a punt, someone fell into the back of my legs. I roleed and popped back up.

Then on Friday night, I had a run turn in my direction. I had the play pushed away from me but as I was backing out, someone stepped on my foot. I had nowhere to go but backward and down, with a bit if a head stand.

I agree with you... sometimes stuff happens. It seems that he was running for his life - he clearly made the wrong decision about where to go on this play.

Quote:

I'll have to email the AD, who's a friend of mine, and tell him that clip had better not show up on AFHV!! :)

If you rec'd half the $, would you ok the video? :D

BktBallRef Sun Oct 22, 2006 05:14pm

I'm open to negotiations. :)

GBFBUmp Sun Oct 22, 2006 06:48pm

Quote:

In my third year at umpire, I had not gone down, not even once until two weeks ago in a JV game. As I turned to go downfield on a punt, someone fell into the back of my legs. I roleed and popped back up.

Very Similar situation for me last THurs for final varsity game of season. In 4th year at ump, never knocked down. Until on pass play I am moving to the LOS, I lean back slightly to let TE go by, not realizing the slot back was right behind him. He caught me square in the chest with his helmet, I went over backwards, feet in air, then immediately rolled back up and on my feet, no use of hands. My WH couldn't stop laughing, considering at 6'3" and 290#, he said he never figured I would go down.

Everybody does need to be somewhere, I just prefer not to be on my butt!

jontheref Mon Oct 23, 2006 04:24am

Related question...
U gets hit with a pass. Pass goes into the air. We know the defense can intercept. But, are ALL offensive players then elegible regardless of number?

Smiley Mon Oct 23, 2006 05:55am

No.

A few years back, I got knocked backwards by a defensive lineman, who had recovered a fumble while still standing. Instead taking off towards A's goal line, he decided to back out of the crowd at the LOS. Ran smack into me. I fell backwards and started to roll head over heels, but only got as far as a head stand and came back down the same way I went up. It made the Friday night highlights. And they kept running it backwards and forwards.

Theisey Mon Oct 23, 2006 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jontheref
Related question...
U gets hit with a pass. Pass goes into the air. We know the defense can intercept. But, are ALL offensive players then elegible regardless of number?

NCAA: yes, his touching allows all team-A members a chance to become a receiver.