The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free Kick (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28998-free-kick.html)

FATUMP Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35pm

Free Kick

Can After An Awarded Fair Catch, Can You Tee Up The Ball With An Orange Kicking Tee.
No Rush For 3 Points?

Rich Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATUMP
Can After An Awarded Fair Catch, Can You Tee Up The Ball With An Orange Kicking Tee.
No Rush For 3 Points?

It's A Free Kick. So Yes.

Bob Mc Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45pm

Yes. 7.5.4 The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line throught he spot of the spot of interference when a fair catch is awarded. 8.4.1a The field-goal attempt shall be a place kick from a free kick following an awarded fair catch.

Don't see it often. Haven't seen it in over 20 years.

ljudge Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:47pm

Keep in mind it doesn't have to necessarily be an awarded fair catch. It can be after a "normal" fair catch as well.

Uncle Ernie Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52pm

Tee

What about a pink tee? Can he use a pink tee??

UE

PS: Rich, good to see you back.

JugglingReferee Sun Oct 22, 2006 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
What about a pink tee? Can he use a pink tee?

If it's pink because it was red, and has faded, then yes. Otherwise, no. Pink tees are illegal in Fed (11.1.3).

waltjp Sun Oct 22, 2006 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If it's pink because it was red, and has faded, then yes. Otherwise, no. Pink tees are illegal in Fed (11.1.3).

Hey, I got gypped. My rule book only goes up to 10.

MJT Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATUMP
No Rush For 3 Points?

The NFL has the same rule as NF, but no tee allowed. It must be held on the ground like a field goal, but the rest of how it works is the same. Had one last year at the end of the half from 67 yards which was a couple of feet wide right, but had the distance. Took a while to explain how it would work to the teams and opposing coaches.

Forksref Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

When all else doesn't apply, it's always safe to quote Rule 11.

mikesears Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT
The NFL has the same rule as NF, but no tee allowed. It must be held on the ground like a field goal, but the rest of how it works is the same. Had one last year at the end of the half from 67 yards which was a couple of feet wide right, but had the distance. Took a while to explain how it would work to the teams and opposing coaches.

Just to be clear with our answers, the NCAA does NOT allow a free kick following a fair catch while NFHS and NFL rules do allow it.

Under NFL rules I don't think the kicking team can gain possession of the kick. I've never seen one attempted. I heard about one at an NFL game and almost saw one attempted during a game this year but the receiving team fouled and the kick wasn't attempted.

cougar729 Mon Oct 23, 2006 01:02pm

It is also important to note that the free kick lines are always 10 yards apart... possibly even into the end zone.

I might have opened pandora box with that one

johnnybgood Tue Dec 04, 2007 07:26am

pandora

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar729
It is also important to note that the free kick lines are always 10 yards apart... possibly even into the end zone.

So, last night if the ravens added a few more unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and the patriots were kicking off from the ravens 5 (they actually kicked from their 35), does that mean that, assuming the ravens do not touch the ball, that the patriots must allow the kick to travel five yards into the end zone before they can legally recover it?

voiceoflg Tue Dec 04, 2007 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mc
Yes. 7.5.4 The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line throught he spot of the spot of interference when a fair catch is awarded. 8.4.1a The field-goal attempt shall be a place kick from a free kick following an awarded fair catch.

Don't see it often. Haven't seen it in over 20 years.

It happened in Georgia in 2006.

Bob M. Tue Dec 04, 2007 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg

REPLY: And this has my vote for "America's Funniest Home (Pressbox) Video"

Robert Goodman Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar729

It's been decades since I looked at this, but when I did, between NCAA & Fed, one always had R's restraining line 10 yards away, but the other had it as the goal line if closer.

Either way, it seems that in Fed if you want to protect a lead with seconds remaining and your opponent kicking off, you could keep incurring penalties until legal recovery by K of the kickoff was impossible. K could decline the penalties. Hmmm...seems an impasse could be achieved by R's repeatedly committing dead ball fouls that prevent the kickoff. So they'd be ahead forever but the game would never end.

Robert