The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

WH Signals part II

OK white hats how do you signal when a team scores and the defending team commits a foul during the score?

i.e. You give the TD signal then the foul signal. Do you try and do anything to show that it will be assessed on the PAT??

i.e. Defensive foul on a successful try, how do you signal that it will be assessed on the succeeding spot or kickoff/free kick??

i.e. Penalty and the yardage part will be refused, like on a PAT and kicker wants the ball to stay on the 3 yardline

Oh how nice it would be to have a mic on for these situations so everybody knows what we are doing, including coaches.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talk really, really loud

I signal the foul, I point to the offenders side of the ball, and if they're taking it on the KO, I point to the kickoff part of the field and use my outside voice to explain. I know it can look like I'm pointing to the scoring team side of the ball, so I point with my index finger and kind of angle it down as if the whole crowd will picture an imaginary football on an imaginary tee at the actual 50.

I signal TD as well somewhere in that mess.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

As you said, having a mic would be a very big help on these types of plays. I think the last senario is the easiest. Signal the foul (DPI for example), signal declined, signal TD...that way the fans know there was a foul, the penalty was refused, and we still have a TD.

From there it gets a little 'uglier'...I suppose it would be best to signal TD (or PAT good) then signal the foul, that way it is more obvious that the score counts and the penalty is accepted. Without a mic, fans will just have to assume from there where the penalty is enforced.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
OK white hats how do you signal when a team scores and the defending team commits a foul during the score?

i.e. You give the TD signal then the foul signal. Do you try and do anything to show that it will be assessed on the PAT??
I give the TD signal, so everyone knows the TD will stand and then give the foul signal. I have a field mic for about 1/2 of my HS games, which does help a ton. Giving the foul signal second would indicate to most fans that it will be enforced, although will not understand if it will be on the try only, as in NF, or on either the try or succeeding KO, as is the case on PF's on TDs in NCAA.
Quote:
i.e. Defensive foul on a successful try, how do you signal that it will be assessed on the succeeding spot or kickoff/free kick??
Same as above. TD signal lets them know the try is good, penalty signal lets them know we will enforce on the KO. This is actually an easier one, cuz there is no other enforcement spot except the KO.

Quote:
i.e. Penalty and the yardage part will be refused, like on a PAT and kicker wants the ball to stay on the 3 yardline
Penalty signal, fake running in place-stop and give declined signal. (kidding). I think give the penalty signal and verbally say penalty is accepted by the distance is declined, and go with it. I don't think you can give the declined signal or everyone will wonder why you are replaying the down. Most will probably not even know you didn't step off the yardage.

Quote:
Oh how nice it would be to have a mic on for these situations so everybody knows what we are doing, including coaches.
Like I said, field mics are great. I will also indicate if the penalty is enforced from the PS, EOR, or spot of the foul, as well is the clock starting on the RFP or snap if time is at all a factor towards the end of a half.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo

Nope. Well... sort of. On a TD where the defense fouled, my steps for the final signals would be: (1) Signal TD. "The result of the play is a touchdown." (2) Signal the foul. "During the play, face mask." (3) Point at the defense. "On the defense. The five-yard penalty..." (4) Signal untimed down. "... will be assessed on the try." (This is the "sort of" part.)

Quote:
Similar here. (1) Signal good. "The try is good." (2) Signal the foul. "During the play, personal foul, roughing the kicker." (3) Point at the defense. "On the defense. The fifteen-yard penalty..." (4) Point at the kickoff spot. "... will be assessed on the kickoff." When pointing here, I would use one index finger and kind of shake my hand 2-3 times - in any case, do something very different from when you point at a team to indicate they have fouled.

Quote:
I'm assuming an unsuccessful try here. I would signal it identically to if the yardage was accepted. I'm not even sure I would verbalize anything new here, but I'd leave out the "half the distance to the goal" part.

Quote:
Yeah. Yeah, that.