The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send an email to the CSS sports people! That idiot needs to be terminated!
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The 31 players who were suspended (and others if they were also determined to be involved) should be looked at very closely at pulling their scholarships immediately. Playing college football on scholarship is not a right, it is a priveledge. I know that some will argue that the schools are exploiting the student-athlete, etc.....but this does not mean anyone should condone these actions. If they had taken place in the Wal-mart parking lot these young thugs..ur, men, would be behind bars right now.........Maybe that is where they should be.

I don't care where these guys came from, their backgrounds, etc. or any other bleed heart responses I expect to hear from Illinois, this should not be tolerated. If these guys want to do this stuff, let them do it where the guards can inforce much greater penalties than a 15 yard flag
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Its problems like this that filters down to the lower levels, High School and Pop Warner. Not that I have seen this behavior on any field I have been on, but it has happen. The in your face smack talking that goes on in college level that drifts down to the lower levels. Kids see it on TV and it follows them into their games. The lack of sportsmanship.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprov
Its problems like this that filters down to the lower levels, High School and Pop Warner. Not that I have seen this behavior on any field I have been on, but it has happen. The in your face smack talking that goes on in college level that drifts down to the lower levels. Kids see it on TV and it follows them into their games. The lack of sportsmanship.
Exactly. I had a kid last Friday completely amazed that he received a USC for taunting. He managed to knock down and keep on the ground an o-lineman, then proceed to taunt him, yelling out "Yeah, you like that b*%ch, who owns you know?!" I personally don't see how it does any good, since he effectively removed himself from the play.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
That announcer ought to be fired.
Spoke too soon. That may happen after all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628184
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I emailed Mr Fuhrman very early this morning to express my outrage and received a response in a few hours.

Part of the response was:
"We share your disappointment and concern over Saturday’s events. Please be assured that we are taking appropriate disciplinary action while consulting with the University to guarantee that such comments do not occur during any future CSS broadcast."

I'm glad they felt the same way a lot of us probably felt when we saw incident and heard the commentary.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

In the mid 1980s the NHL had a bad reputation as a league that did nothing but brawl.

NHL said if you leave the bench to brawl you are suspended several (10?), games, the head coach is suspended several games and the franchise is fined significantly. There hasn't been a bench clearing brawl in the NHL for YEARS.

NCAA can stop this tomorrow. Come off the bench? You're automatically ejected and suspended two games, the coach is suspended one game, the team is suspended from post season play, and the team goes on a two year probation--any further brawling while on probation doubles the length of penalties.

Brawls would stop tomorrow.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

CSS has taken action against Thomas

Just read, Lamar Thomas has been fired by CSS. FIU has also suspended 2 additional players.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:22pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprov
Our association officiates the scrimmages during the HS football camp at our local university. It is an issue every single summer to get the kids to quit talking smack to the other team. Foul language and taunting are the worst amongst the "All Star" squads. I think some of this behavior is encouraged at the college level (at least the smack talk). I think some coachings staffs and players view emotion as a key ingredient to success, and coach the players to get excited, then fail to coach them to control those emotions.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:53pm
I Bleed Crimson

Oh, by the way, Lamar Thomas is a "victim."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...s/15774438.htm