The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   2 things I've notice (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28741-2-things-ive-notice.html)

PSU213 Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:59pm

2 things I've notice

These both come from college games I saw this weekend:

First, many officials wear watches that are not for timing. Here in Pennsylvania, the PIAA says something to the effect of "watches for timing purposes only" for officials (and no other jewelry, other than a wedding band). I've seen many college officials with "decorative" watches (i.e. gold bands, leather bands, etc.). Do other states have these "watch rules?" (And for the record, I have no desire to wear a watch other than my digital timing watch on the field).

Also (and I know someone brought this up before), why does the SEC have its "backup" official stand right behind the HL, in stripes, with his whistle on, etc. While I'm sure most people don't notice him, I do. In the Tenn/UGA game last night, the backup official gave a discrete signal to the R that a pass did cross the LOS (and hense there would be no intentional grounding). Why not have him wear a black warm up jacket or take the stripes off and just have a black turtle neck on, rather than wearing the stripes over there?

Forksref Sun Oct 08, 2006 04:15pm

I just ordered a watch that, although it looks decorative, has a "countdown" timer on it so that if the clock goes out, I can time the game. I needed a new watch and I figured it was a good time to get a countdown timer along with it.

Bob M. Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:49pm

REPLY: No special "no watch" rules here in NJ...at least none that I've ever heard of.

Tom.OH Sat Oct 14, 2006 02:42pm

The 2006 Officials manual on page 10 Pregame Responsibilities says "The LJ (4 person) /BJ (5 person) will have the correct time and all officials will synchronize their watches accordingly." Sounds like anyone can wear a watch.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Oct 14, 2006 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom.OH
The 2006 Officials manual on page 10 Pregame Responsibilities says "The LJ (4 person) /BJ (5 person) will have the correct time and all officials will synchronize their watches accordingly." Sounds like anyone can wear a watch.

Agreed - and as a LJ, I always wear one during 5-person games, in case an official (or one of the BJ's watches) goes down. Also, many R's I work under prefer to wear one, in the event of anything happening to an official or another back-up watch, so that they can keep the 25-second clock.

ljudge Sat Oct 14, 2006 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: No special "no watch" rules here in NJ...at least none that I've ever heard of.

Shhhh...Bob! Your going to give the NJSIAA ideas. Soon we'll be hearing they're getting a contract with Rolex and we'll only be able to wear their watches in contests along with the embroidered hats...LOL.

HLin NC Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:36pm

In the SEC, that "back-up"

official is also the clock operator.

Bob M. Mon Oct 16, 2006 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljudge
Shhhh...Bob! Your going to give the NJSIAA ideas. Soon we'll be hearing they're getting a contract with Rolex and we'll only be able to wear their watches in contests along with the embroidered hats...LOL.

REPLY: You're right...I shoulda' kept my mouth shut. Have you heard anything more about "Apparel-gate?"

waltjp Mon Oct 16, 2006 08:27am

Last I heard the idea was shut down - at least for now.

ljudge Tue Oct 17, 2006 07:39am

I'll ask at our next meeting. I haven't heard boo about the subject.