The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Initial R stance (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28714-initial-r-stance.html)

DJ_NV Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:14am

Initial R stance

I know that this is a highly personal preference, but just looking for pros and cons of the Referee either starting with hands on the knees or standing straight prior to the snap.

Jim D Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:15am

Standing straight up gives you a better field of view because your eyes are higher up.

Rich Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_NV
I know that this is a highly personal preference, but just looking for pros and cons of the Referee either starting with hands on the knees or standing straight prior to the snap.

I stay down on FG/try situations. I'm up otherwise.

stevesmith Fri Oct 06, 2006 01:10pm

As mentioned previously, it is personal opinion. Personally, I've never understood the hands on knees thing. From that position, your only first move can be to raise up before you can do anything else. By starting from the standing position, you are free to move your arms and legs as necessary without any wasted time.

GoodwillRef Fri Oct 06, 2006 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesmith
As mentioned previously, it is personal opinion. Personally, I've never understood the hands on knees thing. From that position, your only first move can be to raise up before you can do anything else. By starting from the standing position, you are free to move your arms and legs as necessary without any wasted time.

I am just like Rich, I am up for all plays except PAT Kick and FG attempts.

stevesmith Fri Oct 06, 2006 01:29pm

Why? Does it help you focus better? Not trying to be a smart***, just trying to understand the reasoning why you'd do it on one type of play and not another.

ljudge Fri Oct 06, 2006 01:50pm

Quote:

Why? Does it help you focus better?

This was precisely the question that was asked of me when being evaluated in a game where I put my hands on my knees. I couldn't give an answer. I watched another referee who worked at the D-1 level who always stands up. I started to emulate his mechanics and try to pick up on his habits. That's what I do now and it's working. I never have my hands on my knees any more, and frankly, feel I'm in a better position to cover the play with my positioning...which is approx. 45 degrees from the center and about 12 yards back from the LOS.

Think about one thing. When your hands on your knees you're LOWER to the ground. The parents are sprinkling miracle grow or something on these freaking kids these days. I need all the height I can get! Stay high!

Kirby Fri Oct 06, 2006 02:24pm

When I get a chance I like to watch Ed Hochuli's mechanics as I believe him to be one of the best officials on the planet. I think he starts every play with hands on knees. I do not think he is over 6 feet tall so I guess I don't really buy the seeing over the lineman thing. I also think Mike Carey starts with hands on knees.

I generally do start with hands on knees as I feel it helps me to read my initial keys at the snap. Of course, I started my officiating career at the umpire position so it was always hands on knees. Maybe tonight I will experiment with the upright stance.

Warrenkicker Fri Oct 06, 2006 03:46pm

As I am always holding my whistle in my hand I can't have my hands on my knees unless I am some sort of contortionist. Stand up with feet shoulder width apart and be ready to move.

Rich Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:59am

Quote:

Why? Does it help you focus better? Not trying to be a smart***, just trying to understand the reasoning why you'd do it on one type of play and not another.

My main focus on FG/try plays is getting roughing on the holder/kicker. The focus is down.

That's why I do it -- for no other reason, really.

Forksref Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I stay down on FG/try situations. I'm up otherwise.

Darn, I agree again. I get down for kick tries and FG's. Otherwise am up in the R position. When I am the U, I am down for better vision of the ball and my keys as well as better vision for the defense. At 6-3 I get in the way of the D. My BJ, at 5-4 would be better suited for the U position! :-)

The Roamin' Umpire Sun Oct 08, 2006 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref
Darn, I agree again. I get down for kick tries and FG's. Otherwise am up in the R position. When I am the U, I am down for better vision of the ball and my keys as well as better vision for the defense. At 6-3 I get in the way of the D. My BJ, at 5-4 would be better suited for the U position! :-)

Wow, I couldn't agree less. I'm also 5-4, and I can't see a damn thing when I work at U. The defense can move to see around me, but there's almost nowhere I can move to see around the D-line.

MJT Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:28pm

I personally feel more comfortable standing tall at the beginning of each play.