The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

NF: Celebration?

Last Friday, varsity game between 2 undefeated teams. Score is 17-17 with :25 left in the game. 3/10 for the home team is at the B-25 yard line. They line up for a FG and are called for a false start. We back them up 5 and they decide to run a normal play, go for it all and if they lose, they go to OT.

I'm the BJ in the EZ, my key runs a nice post pattern, QB sees him and puts it right on the numbers in the EZ for the go-ahead 6. Clock stops with :01. As the receiver is heading back to the team box after the TD but before the Try, the rest of the team (not that it matters but there is only about 25 players on the team) is obviously excited and congratulating the player on the field back at the 20-25 yard line. They're only about 1-2 yards onto the field, and they quickly all filter back into the team box. Meanwhile, we're getting into position for the Try and everything goes back to normal and the 11 players come out for the Try, kick is good, and we have the KO. Visiting team is downed, game over--home team wins.

After the TD and before the Try, the visiting team is screaming for a UC because several of their players are out on the field (again, 1-2 yards in front of their team box and maybe a few yards past the 25). Nothing insulting or directed at the other team, just pure excitement.

Would you flag this for excessive celebration or being outside the team box?

we did not have a flag, and I even heard the visiting assistant coach tell the HC that had they scored, we would've let them do the same thing. The HC wasn't buying it, and he kept yelling at us all the way up to right before the KO then he let it go.

thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
As you described it, that is not drawing my flag. I think calling the USC is nit picking and asking for a whole lot of trouble. Now on the other hand if the entire bench cleared and was out in the middle of the field and delayed the PAt I think you have another story.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I would not have flagged it, if anything you would have a sideline warning.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

what if they had been almost to the 9-yard marks and/or down around the 20 and were just out to greet the player and then went back into the team box. Still no flag?
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
Not from me
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: No flag from me the way you describe it. Don't go looking for trouble.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Use common sense. Do you expect players not to celebrate? As long as the players did not come down to the EZ from the team box, I do not see why this is a problem. You have to expect some spontaneous celebration in these kinds of situations. Let the team have some fun.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

that's what we all felt. I just couldn't understand why the visiting coach just wouldn't leave it alone other than being a sore loser. I suppose that's par for the course, but shame on me for trying to give him the benefit of the doubt