The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Ohio State - Iowa (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28642-ohio-state-iowa.html)

parepat Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:04am

Ohio State - Iowa

Any NCAA guys out there that saw the OSU v Iowa game o Saturday night. There was a play where the on field officials called a completed catch. Overturned on review. Looked to me to be a catch, down, hit. ball out. Any thoughts?

JRutledge Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:19am

In college the receiver must maintain control after hitting the ground. That would not be a catch at the NCAA level. I do not know I would rule that at catch at any level.

Peace

schmitty1973 Tue Oct 03, 2006 03:00am

I know which play you are talking about and I didn't think the ball ever touched the ground. If a player is still juggling a ball and then he falls to the ground while it's still loose but it never hits the ground, then he gains control does that mean it's incomplete?
So far I think the college replay system is a waste of time. I even thought this last year as well. They are relying on it too much and instead of making a call they'll wait and see if it's reviewed. This happened last year on numerous occasions when there was a fumble late in the game. Even if the fumble was clearly caused by the ground, the officials would rule it a fumble. I'm convinced that they had an "unwritten" rule that they wouldn't blow a play dead when the ball came loose. As much as everyone complains about the speed of a game, I think tossing the replay system is the first place to start. They're trying to get too technical with it and it's ruining the game.

parepat Wed Oct 04, 2006 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
In college the receiver must maintain control after hitting the ground. That would not be a catch at the NCAA level. I do not know I would rule that at catch at any level.

Peace

I disagree. I saw a catch (control) followed by hitting the ground (down) while controlling the ball. Then an Iowa player hit the receiver knocking the ball loose. I have it on DVR and have watched it 20 plus times. Call on field was a catch. Did I miss something?

schmitty1973 Thu Oct 05, 2006 03:31am

I watched it again too. The question is, does control of the ball have to be with the hands? He had control of the ball but it was with his arm and not his hands, then he got hit and lost it after he was already on the ground.

GoodwillRef Thu Oct 05, 2006 05:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by parepat
I disagree. I saw a catch (control) followed by hitting the ground (down) while controlling the ball. Then an Iowa player hit the receiver knocking the ball loose. I have it on DVR and have watched it 20 plus times. Call on field was a catch. Did I miss something?

When in doubt the pass is always incomplete. You had to watch it 20 plus times to see it, the field official doesn't get that luxury. The ground can't cause a fumble but it does cause an incomplete pass! It was IMO a good call.

parepat Thu Oct 05, 2006 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
When in doubt the pass is always incomplete. You had to watch it 20 plus times to see it, the field official doesn't get that luxury. The ground can't cause a fumble but it does cause an incomplete pass! It was IMO a good call.

You are right, I did watch a few times (certainly not 20 to make up my mind... Just kept looking for something that maybe I missed). So did the REPLAY OFFICIAL who overturned what was originally called a completed pass on the field.