The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Humiliated Ump

Last Friday at a varisity game, a fill in side judge placed my credibility in the toilet. I was totally stuned by his actions and the non reaction of the crew I have been officiating with for over 7 years.

On a 4th down. The kicking coach demanded that his ball be changed and that it was the rule. It is fair to state that it had been raining but the ball was dry. I and the linesman refused his request. The coached got louder and made his demand. Again, saying it was in the rule book.

We all know that the same ball must be used during all 4 downs; the only thing that can allow the ball to be exchanged for another is a new series or if the offficals feel the weather requires a dry ball to be inserted.

The side judge came from his side line to the far hash mark. While doing so, yelling that he will honor the request and the ball will be exchanged. He exchanged balls to my objection and that of the linesman.

First, there was no conference between us. Secondly, was his yelling "all over the field" his intent to exchange the ball.

My concern was that the coach was wrong in stating it was a rule that he has the right to exchange the ball at anytime in the game.

Needless to say, I lost total respect from everyone when the ball was exchanged. In all of my 25 years as an official, I have never had such an experience.

I no longer am officiating. I lost that "something' on the field that night.

Any thoughts out there??

Bucky
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is a fine line between doing this for the love of the game, for personal enjoyment, for money (haha) or whatever your reasons may be for being a sports official. I have had times through the years where I wasn't happy with being an official and had thoughts of giving it up. But I always find that working with the right people make all the difference in the world. And there are times when the right person one year isn't the right person next year, and vice versa. There is such a commeraderie among officials that when you feel like you've lost that, you think you don't enjoy the job when in reality, the job you're doing is fine...you just need to do it with someone else who appreciates how and what you do.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Where was your "R" while this discussion was going on?

Up until that particular down, were you changing out balls every so many plays or was this the first time. You said it was rainy, but was the field a grass field hence a mud problem, or was it nice clean artificial turf?

Personally, your Ref should have done something. You say the ball was dry and that would have been good enough for me and him. Blow the RFP and let the down begin.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Three possible reactions -

When he sends in the new ball, drop it and then toss it out because it's wet. Too bad, so sorry.

Toss the ball right back to him and say we're playing with this one because that what the rule book specifies. If he persits, get the R involved.

Meekly accept the LJ's decision and change balls.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

My only input other than that which has been stated by previous posters is to not let this isolated incident end your career. Yes it sucked, it shouldn't have happened and I would be really, really upset with my crew. But instead of hanging it up, I would first get the entire crew together off the field sometime during the week and have a no holds barred, very straight-up conversation about the philosophy, integrity and future of the crew before making any final decisions.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

You can't hang it all up over this. You definitely need to have a conversation with SJ - whether it's in private or with the entire crew, and also one with the R. YOU were right. HE (SJ) was wrong (not just the implementation, but the actions). Don't let this end an otherwise enjoyable pasttime for you, and don't let your organization suffer from the lack of your talents based solely on the lack of judgement and talent of this other official.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Paul -

The single worst thing you can do is to hang it up. Why? This game NEEDS officials like you. If you give in to that crap it hurts the game. That kind of stuff will catch up with those other officials, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Take a week off and think about it!
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches are frequently wrong when they say somethng is "the rule". This situation could have been easily handled just by telling him the ball was being changed at the crew's discretion and not due to the nonexistent rule.

As for someone else on the crew doing something contrary to what you wanted...that happens from time to time with us deep officials when we throw a flag and someone else comes in and says it was uncatchable. You can have a confrontation or you can accept it and move on. It is not that big a deal. Maybe you don't want to work with that particular official again but that is no reason not to work with other officials.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Krupp
Last Friday at a varisity game, a fill in side judge placed my credibility in the toilet. I was totally stuned by his actions and the non reaction of the crew I have been officiating with for over 7 years.

On a 4th down. The kicking coach demanded that his ball be changed and that it was the rule. It is fair to state that it had been raining but the ball was dry. I and the linesman refused his request. The coached got louder and made his demand. Again, saying it was in the rule book.

We all know that the same ball must be used during all 4 downs; the only thing that can allow the ball to be exchanged for another is a new series or if the offficals feel the weather requires a dry ball to be inserted.

The side judge came from his side line to the far hash mark. While doing so, yelling that he will honor the request and the ball will be exchanged. He exchanged balls to my objection and that of the linesman.

First, there was no conference between us. Secondly, was his yelling "all over the field" his intent to exchange the ball.

My concern was that the coach was wrong in stating it was a rule that he has the right to exchange the ball at anytime in the game.

Needless to say, I lost total respect from everyone when the ball was exchanged. In all of my 25 years as an official, I have never had such an experience.

I no longer am officiating. I lost that "something' on the field that night.

Any thoughts out there??

Bucky
You didn't lose respect from everyone. You lost respect for yourself. If you let one incident chase you from the game, good riddance. Harsh words? Yes, but if you don't have the huevos to get over something like this, you don't belong on the field.

Bob
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

There are situations where one, and only one, incident may legitimately drive someone from the game. But I don't believe this is one of them.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation 2 suggestions

1 - Invoke the 24-hr rule. Don't make any decisions in the first 24 hours. Too much emotion here.

2 - Have a talk with the crew about what happened and how you feel. Also, clear up the rule and procedures your crew uses when you disagree. As mentioned above, the R should have made the final decision.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

After an "on-field" discussion that shouldn't have happened a few years ago (similar to what is described here) I started handling this a little differently. I take the incoming replacement ball, which avoids someone else spotting the ball, and look it over carefully. If for ANY reason I feel that we shouldn't change the ball (use the "new" incoming ball), I simply throw the ball back with a "this ball's not legal, we'll play with the one we have".

If we have wet conditions and the in-play ball really should be replaced then I'll spot the incoming ball (provided it's not a under inflated "kicking" ball) and play on, but we rarely will allow any team to kick a different ball than they've been playing with. That's pretty clearly counter to the rules.

By taking the ball and then using the "this ball's not legal" response we avoid any crew debate during the game.

In MA, where we rarely work in crews, we all at one time or another are working with fellow officials that we do not know. Usually when we get into one of these types of situations there is a "way out" that will avoid an unpleasant discussion on the field during the game. We can always discuss it after in the postgame.

And finally, I like the 24-hour rule. Ask yourself how I could have avoided the problem (another form of "preventive officiating") and come up with some ideas of what to do the "next time". Try rethinking if 1 incident like this where you had to work with "the jerk" is worth giving up the game. Just challenge yourself to come up with a way to handle this the next time and get back out there.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Paul

Since your crew of 7 years didn't back you up maybe you should switch crews after this season.