The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Holy Saturday this year

Worked LJ, covering a long run in my sidezone. Just as the runner was about to be brought down, I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes. 2 players who had a good blocking duel going finally rolled out of bounds and hit my leg from the side.
Sprained left MCL and end of spring season for me.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBAustria
Worked LJ, covering a long run in my sidezone. Just as the runner was about to be brought down, I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes. 2 players who had a good blocking duel going finally rolled out of bounds and hit my leg from the side.
Sprained left MCL and end of spring season for me.
Is it spring in Austria? I thought your seasons were the same as the USA.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:37pm
Broadcaster

Here's one from 9/29 where an official got bumped by A5, then B82. It is about 18 seconds in. Looks like he lowered his shoulder like a hockey check.

http://www.lagrangefootball.com/vide...06HARDAWAY.wmv
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
I got hit this weekend and may be out for a couple of weeks. I'll see a doctor today. I was the SJ and was working wide enough (I was wide of the sideline) but I think there was a fumble. One player rolled into me and was lieing on me feet. No problem except I'm stuck. I saw a player come running from the middle of the field and he dover over the pile. I saw him comming but I could not move or jump or turn or anything. Full force straight into my right knee. I went down and stayed down for a while. I didn't feel or hear a pop and there is no pain if I am sitting or standing - I just can't walk too well at the moment. I hope it's just hyperextended. Boy, when I happened I thought I broke the sucker!

Well the good news is no ligament, tendon, cartilage damage and no break. I did "dent" the tibia, though. Technically it's called a compression fracture even though there is no break. The orthopedic guy say it's at the top of the tibia which gets more blood than down my the bottom by the anke so it will heal more quickly. I'm going to try for Umpiring on the 27th - we'll see how it goes.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Last Friday night I'm the Line Judge at a Varsity game. A run comes to my side, runner and tackler headed right for me. I'm about two yards out of bounds and was able to avoid them. Then I get hit from behind and get my legs taken out. The Umpire said I was completely horizontal about 3 feet in the air. I got back up and continued but a few plays later I felt something on my arm. I must have hit something during the fall because there was blood running down my arm. The Ref made me go out until the trainer stopped the bleeding. Ended up with two stiches.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
Last Friday night I'm the Line Judge at a Varsity game. A run comes to my side, runner and tackler headed right for me. I'm about two yards out of bounds and was able to avoid them. Then I get hit from behind and get my legs taken out. The Umpire said I was completely horizontal about 3 feet in the air. I got back up and continued but a few plays later I felt something on my arm. I must have hit something during the fall because there was blood running down my arm. The Ref made me go out until the trainer stopped the bleeding. Ended up with two stiches.
At least one play right.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Just this past Saturday (Pee Wee Football in PR runs February to April):

I had to do Umpire. Yup. These all were on the SAME GAME.

1st: On couple of plays players make contact with me. Later my ankle/shin starts to hurt a bit.

2nd: Now we get funky. I try to cover a pass turned run, and I see these 15-year-olds (big ones, mind you) coming at me. I brace, and boom... straight down backwards on my seater. My neck hurt a bit but fortunately I'm good.

3rd: Covering a kickoff, I move the wrong way and I'm somehow close to returner about to meet tackler. Tackler flies towards R, and as he tackles R his feet crash on my legs like one of those nasty soccer tackles. OW. I have the kid's cleats stamped on my legs. I had to kneel down for a minute.

After the game, the other 3 officials laughing it off... oh, now you got baptized as a U, huh? (1st time I did "U" in 2 yrs.)

4 days later my legs and left shin still hurt...
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Damn. This is the worst thread I've ever read.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 11:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Resurrected thread!
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cakes View Post
It's 3 years old, too. And I started it. Either I'm 3 years wiser or just 3 years older.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

It's happened to me twice, one funny and one not so funny. Working a youth game as a wing, I went downfield to cover a pass. There wasn't much room to work on the sideline and the corner of the field was a baseball infield. Just as I backed onto the infield the ball carrier was diving falling as he was hit and both players met at my right knee. It required surgery, but all is well now.

The funny one was a high school scrimmage. There were several extra guys who where going to work in and we were going to be observed, but we started before the obderver arrived. I was the R. On the first series the QB through an interception over the middle. All the action started right back on me. I turned to start heading for the goal line. I got about 3 steps when someone who was blocking for the ball carrier knocked a player down and he went flying into the back of my legs. I went flying and as I rolled hit my shoulder on the ground. I got up and my pants were badly grass stained and my shirt was torn where my shoulder hit the gorund.

A few plays later the observer showed up. My buddies on the sideline pointed me out to him and said, "Look how he showed up for the scrimmage!"

As a P.S. I bought a new shirt for the following weeks scrimmage. After the scrimmage we were walking out of the facility and I somehow brushed against the fence and tore my new shirt!
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cakes View Post
Agreed.

From the thread title, I thought I'd get a look at Kurt Bryan's latest book.