The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free Kick Line (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28552-free-kick-line.html)

truerookie Thu Sep 28, 2006 02:05pm

Free Kick Line

Sit: K is line up to kick an onside kick from the 40. R touches the ball before it travels 10 yards. Is this a penalty ( illegal touching) on R for touching the ball before it travels 10 yards?

Fed Rules

UmpJM Thu Sep 28, 2006 02:23pm

truerookie,

Once K has kicked the ball, any R player may touch/field the kick anywhere on the field of play and attempt to advance it.

On the other hand, if a K player is the first to touch the kick befoer it has reached R's free kick line (10 yds.) it is a "first touching" by K and, if R does not touch they will receive the ball at the spot of "first touching".

JM

grantsrc Thu Sep 28, 2006 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Sit: K is line up to kick an onside kick from the 40. R touches the ball before it travels 10 yards. Is this a penalty ( illegal touching) on R for touching the ball before it travels 10 yards?

Fed Rules

No foul, simply a violation. Bean bag spot of illegal touching, ball remains live.

Bob M. Thu Sep 28, 2006 02:57pm

REPLY: What K has done in this case is committed a "first touching" violation on a free kick--no different than if he was first to touch a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone.

This is deja vu. I believe I've posted this same response to about three similar threads in the past few days!:rolleyes:

Jim D Thu Sep 28, 2006 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: What K has done in this case is committed a "first touching" violation on a free kick--no different than if he was first to touch a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone.

This is deja vu. I believe I've posted this same response to about three similar threads in the past few days!:rolleyes:

Bob, It must be time for another article!

cmathews Thu Sep 28, 2006 03:12pm

Quote:

This topic has been around a time or two or at least one like it ;) LOL but my take is that, what K has done is kicked the ball, what R has done is nothing wrong LOL re read the original post, don't know if it is a typo or not, but it is R that touches the ball...I sure hope he kept it and it didn't bounce off his chest to K where they would now be eligible to recover LOL :D

truerookie Thu Sep 28, 2006 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
This topic has been around a time or two or at least one like it ;) LOL but my take is that, what K has done is kicked the ball, what R has done is nothing wrong LOL re read the original post, don't know if it is a typo or not, but it is R that touches the ball...I sure hope he kept it and it didn't bounce off his chest to K where they would now be eligible to recover LOL :D

R recovered the ball the WH penalize R for 1st touching five yards. My line of thinking was that along as R recovered before it travel 10 yards no foul. WH did not agree.

Bob M. Thu Sep 28, 2006 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D
Bob, It must be time for another article!

REPLY: Actually...I just got an e-mail from the editor asking for exactly that!

Theisey Thu Sep 28, 2006 04:34pm

Quote:

R recovered the ball the WH penalize R for 1st touching five yards. My line of thinking was that along as R recovered before it travel 10 yards no foul. WH did not agree.

Would not have mattered where team-R had recovered, there is no foul for doing so any place on the field.

Did any other officials come to the discussion?

Keep learning, maybe someday you can WH a game.

Bob M. Thu Sep 28, 2006 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews

REPLY: Mea culpa...I read the post incorrectly. Gotta get new glasses. Come to think of it, a coach said the same thing to me last Friday night!

bluezebra Thu Sep 28, 2006 04:51pm

Quote:

That Ref should change his white hat for a dunce cap.

Bob

truerookie Thu Sep 28, 2006 05:58pm

Quote:

REPLY: Mea culpa...I read the post incorrectly. Gotta get new glasses. Come to think of it, a coach said the same thing to me last Friday night!

Bob, which is it you read it wrong or you need new glasses?:D