The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   What's wrong with this play? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28485-whats-wrong-play.html)

ChickenOfNC Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21pm

What's wrong with this play?

http://hogs-hill-sec.blogspot.com/20...-play-for.html

(The closeup replay toward the end is especially revealing)

CruiseMan Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:35pm

There are a few questionable issues with this play.

1) Did A have 7 men on the line? At first I questioned this due to the Holder's postioning not being square to the line. But after further review, they had seven on the line outside the hash.

2) Were those 7 men actually on the line of scrimmage? The ball is on A37 and the linemen outside the hash appear to be on A36 and standing almost straight up. But..the holder does have his body turned and his foot way back. I'll give the line the benefit of the doubt here. I don't have a problem with that.

3) PROBLEM!! A7 never gets set. In fact, he's moving forward at the line. IS or IM, take your pick. This should have been called.

Great play though...never seen something like that not on a try before.

ChickenOfNC Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiseMan
3) PROBLEM!! A7 never gets set. In fact, he's moving forward at the line. IS or IM, take your pick. This should have been called.

That, and the center never getting set, were the two problems I had. Plus the Alabama coach on the field at the snap.

parepat Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:28pm

Ref shoufd have held RFP until coaches were off the field.

SC Ump Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:47am

I don't know NCAA rules. NFHS states snapper's shoulders must be parallel with the LOS.

cougar729 Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:59am

Where exactly does it say that a snappers shoulders must be parallel with LOS, doesnt say that in 7-1

HawkeyeCubP Tue Sep 26, 2006 01:09am

Yeah, that's pretty close to a violation of 7-3-c - failure of snapper to completely pause before the snap.

And techincally, the snapper only has to have their shoulders "approximately parallel" to the LOS. (2-31-14) He looks fine to me in the play.

Bob M. Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar729
Where exactly does it say that a snappers shoulders must be parallel with LOS, doesnt say that in 7-1

REPLY: Since the snapper is a 'lineman,' he must comply with NF 2-31-9 which says that his shoulders need to be "...shoulders approximately parallel" to the LOS. ANd 2-31-14 says explicitly that the snapper must comply.

And...I think that the R blew the RFP too early. I would never have blown it while team B was walking back onto the field.

RoyGardner Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:46am

1. RFP should not have been blown with B still coming onto field and B coaches still on the field. If they are "delaying" flag them for DOG, but do not blow the RFP.

2. A-7 very clearly never sets - IM

3. Snapper clearly never sets - IM

radwaste50 Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Since the snapper is a 'lineman,' he must comply with NF 2-31-9 which says that his shoulders need to be "...shoulders approximately parallel" to the LOS. ANd 2-31-14 says explicitly that the snapper must comply.

And...I think that the R blew the RFP too early. I would never have blown it while team B was walking back onto the field.

There is no 2-31-9 or 2-31-14 this is NCAA rules

Bob M. Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by radwaste50

REPLY: Sorry...forgot which set of rules we were discussing on this one.

Texas Aggie Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:20pm

Maybe its a bad video, but it appeared to me the players were set sufficiently. They certainly didn't appear to mimic the start of a play.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by radwaste50

This is taken from the NCAA FB Rules:
2-27-4-1:
Lineman
"A lineman is any Team A player legally on his scrimmage line when
the ball is snapped. An interior lineman is any Team A player legally
on his scrimmage line and positioned between the end Team A players
who are also on the line of scrimmage at the snap. An ineligible pass
receiver of Team A is “on his scrimmage line’’ at the snap when he
faces his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders parallel
thereto and his head breaking the plane of the line drawn through the
waistline of the snapper."

2-27-8:
Snapper
"The snapper is the player who snaps the ball. He becomes the
snapper when he assumes his position and touches or simulates (hand[s] at
or below his knees) touching the ball (Rule 7-1-3-a-1)."

I can't find anything in the NCAA Rules that says, verbatim, that the snapper, or a lineman, for that matter must have their shoulders parallel to the LOS - it only mentions it in determining the eligibility/ineligibility of A players.

I'm sure I'm missing something though, if not the implied and expected inference that that's the way it is.

NCAA people?

AndrewMcCarthy Tue Sep 26, 2006 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I can't find anything in the NCAA Rules that says, verbatim, that the snapper, or a lineman, for that matter must have their shoulders parallel to the LOS - it only mentions it in determining the eligibility/ineligibility of A players.

I disagree for a lineman. Read your quoted rule again- it mentions the shoulders in determining if an ineligible player is on the line or not.

I agree about the snapper though- it doesn't seem like a requirement for him since it doesn't say a snapper must meet the requirements for a lineman.

I'm glad I'm a deep guy.

OverAndBack Tue Sep 26, 2006 01:37pm

Looked to me like they didn't set for a second. That would have been my issue.