The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:09am
Esteemed Participant

Question about the football itself

A question about the balls used during the game - we had a game Saturday night and the weather was pretty sloppy. We were trying to change balls every play (as much as we could). The HS where I coach is vey small, so we don't have a huge budget...we have three game balls, all three were checked and OK'd prior to the game...two are leather and one is composite. At halftime, the U told us that if we switched from a leather to the comp ball during the same offensive series, he would flag us 15 yards for USC...I have never heard anything like that before - I understand you can't do that when kicking - switch to a specific ball, but between first down and second down? I looked at the white hat and he just shrugged and walked off. Any thoughts?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
By rule you are not supposed to change ball type during a series. If you start with a leather ball you are supposed to keep a leather ball for the entire series.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
By rule you are not supposed to change ball type during a series. If you start with a leather ball you are supposed to keep a leather ball for the entire series.
Could you cite that rule for me - I can't find it in the book...and does that apply to the enitre series, or just until we make a first down?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

1-3-2 Each team may use any referee approved ball of it's choice to free kick or start a new series of downs. If a touchdown occurs following a change of posession and the socring team did not put the ball in play, any referee approved ball my be used for the try.

1-3-3 If the field is wet, the referee may order the ball to be changed between downs.

Unless your state has a different rule then we do here in Ny we do not allow the ball to be changed from one typr to another. If the field is wet we allow the ball to be changed every down however it must be the same type of approved ball.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me but there is a play explaining the switch from leather to composite in the case book.

Thanks David, knew I had seen it just last week while taking my part 2 test online.

Last edited by BIG UMP; Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 12:12pm.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you are permitting a change of the football within a series, a change from leather to rubber or vice versa is still not permitted within the series. See Casebook 1.3.2 Situation A.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG UMP
I don't have my books with me but there is a play explaining the switch from leather to composite in the case book.
Case Book 1-3-2

A change from leather to rubber or vice versa or from longitudinal striping or conventional striping can only be made for a free kick or to start a series. If weather conditions warrant, a switch can be made by the officials from leather to leather or rubber to rubber within a series.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
Case Book 1-3-2

A change from leather to rubber or vice versa or from longitudinal striping or conventional striping can only be made for a free kick or to start a series. If weather conditions warrant, a switch can be made by the officials from leather to leather or rubber to rubber within a series.
Thanks guys...now I can go show my head coach the rule and case...it caused quite a stir amongst the crew (4 man) during the halftime conversation according tto the Line Judge on our sideline...thanks again!
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Thanks guys...now I can go show my head coach the rule and case...it caused quite a stir amongst the crew (4 man) during the halftime conversation according tto the Line Judge on our sideline...thanks again!

Under your conditions I would ask the coaches if it was okay to use all three balls whenever if it was the only way to keep a good/dry ball in the game.